Very strange problem - need help

Started by
5 comments, last by Leprosy 23 years, 9 months ago
recently I transfered my game from one computer to another. The first computer it was on had a faster proccessor and MMX and the second computer had a slower processor (not by too much ) but a better video card (other computer had generic. On this first computer full screen mode i get about 52 fps, and about 35 windowed. On the new computer I installed I get 21 fps full screen and 62 fps windowed mode! why the hell might it be running better in windowed mode? any help at all would help a ton. if youve hear or run into a similar problem please lemme know Lep
Advertisement
I''ve noticed very similiar results on my video card (Viper 770). I haven''t actually done any FPS testing on my own apps, but some of Diamond''s 3D configuration utilities report FPS of well over 200 FPS in windowed, but limited to 75 in fullscreen.

The 75 of fullscreen makes sense because it''s limited by the refresh rate, isn''t it? It shouldn''t be different for windowed either. My guess is that the timer for windowed is wrong.
quote:Original post by Arinae

I''ve noticed very similiar results on my video card (Viper 770). I haven''t actually done any FPS testing on my own apps, but some of Diamond''s 3D configuration utilities report FPS of well over 200 FPS in windowed, but limited to 75 in fullscreen.

The 75 of fullscreen makes sense because it''s limited by the refresh rate, isn''t it? It shouldn''t be different for windowed either. My guess is that the timer for windowed is wrong.

I think it might have somthing to do with using the 3d card.. if I render the tiles in 3d i dont loose any fps but it gets exponentially worste as the number of DD blits increases. go figure

Lep
Is it possible that in full screen mode that DirectX is limited to the refresh rate because it waits for the vert. sync., while in windowed mode, it doesn''t know (or possibly care) about the refresh rate and simply doesn''t wait for the vert. sync.

Hmmm....

Dino M. Gambone

Good judgement is gained through experience. Experience, however, is gained through bad judgement.

Dino M. Gambone
Good judgment is gained through experience. Experience, however, is gained through bad judgment.

Currently working on Rise of Praxis MUD: http://www.riseofpraxis.net/

I havent tried my game in windowed mode, but I do know that mine wont go faster then the vertical refresh rate, so the max fps I get is 75 or 60, depending on what I set my monitor refresh rate to.

Possibility
Well On most apps I do get a hundred or so FPS windowed, which would be impossible considering my refresh rate on the monitor is about 70hrtz - so you are correct windowed modes dont wait for the refresh correctly. But I dont think, waiting for the refresh would bring performance down below 20 fps - which is what im getting in Full screem mode.
I know you''ve all probably checked this already, but i was seeing the same problem. It turned out that I had a large background image that was so big it couldn''t possibly fit in video ram. As a result, DD put it in system memory. When I moved to a computer with a better graphics card (but slower processor), suddenly DD was able to fit the bitmap into video ram. Since I was relying on the image to be in system ram (I was doing reads and such) the FPS dropped significantly on the faster machine. After I corrected to assignment of the surface explicitly to system memory, the problems went away.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement