• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cowsarenotevil

Some sort of model-loading library?

This topic is 5234 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there any such thing that I could use? I know that the best way is to write your own loader, but I've already done that for a couple of formats, and I'd like a library to load in models so I can toy with different formats and choose the best one for my game. Thank you. [edited by - coWsaRenOtevIl on January 15, 2004 6:48:24 PM]

Advertisement
Write your own format? Are you mad? You''d need to create the format, create modelling software, create unwrapping software. There''s a whole lot more that I won''t go into...

To answer your question rsn.gamedev.net has a premade Milkshape3d loader that is very easy to drop into an exsisting project. I use it, and it works well.

What are you talking about, to write your own format all you need to do is write a plug in for modeler. If you''re using a program like milkshape, it''s really not that hard to write your own model format.

quote:
Original post by LlamaGuy
Write your own format? Are you mad? You''d need to create the format, create modelling software, create unwrapping software. There''s a whole lot more that I won''t go into...

No im not, i wrote my own format, it''s simple to load and i is flexible.
And i didn''t write my own modeler, instead i wrote an exporter.
IT takes LWO files and convert''s it to CFMD(my own format), during that process it creates new UV maps, normals and conectivety(used for stencil shadows and such).
I could write and use a loader for the LWO files directly, but since LWO file dosn''t contain any UV, normals or conectivety it would mean that i would have to do that on load time(and conectivety take''s lot''s of time).

I could use other format''s, but then i would have to write an importer for that format(or use a readymade one).
But that would mean that the format i would choose would have limit''s that i can''t change.

So the conclution is that in the long run it''s better to make you own format allthough it mean''s that you will have to write an array of tool''s for it you will later on gain a bit on the fact that you have full controll over the format.

But on the other hand, if your writing a quick and easy program then you might want to choose an allready existing format.

---------------------------------
For an overdose of l33tness, flashbang.nu

Guest Anonymous Poster
As I said, I want to experiment with different model formats for a while. Making my own format/exporter/loader is <i>more</i> work than just writing a loader, and that''s still too much right now.

also thinking about speed issues, using trianglestrips quadstrips triangle fans and such to speed up your models rendering time.

!!My bRaiN is FiLLEd With HappY Juice!!

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
As I said, I want to experiment with different model formats for a while. Making my own format/exporter/loader is <i>more</i> work than just writing a loader, and that's still too much right now.

Oops. Appearently I was logged out when I posted that

By the way, I'm trying out PortaLib 3D right now.

[edited by - coWsaRenOtevIl on January 15, 2004 6:48:36 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!