Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shaw Mishrak

Vertex Storage (D3D)

Shaw Mishrak    122
I was wondering what is the general opinion on how to store vertices in memory in a way that is optimized for speed. Currently, I have D3DVERTEX arrays that I use, one per object. (Like one for the player model, one for landscape, and one for every object, etc.) I am curious if there is a better way to accomplish that would be faster. I use DrawPrimitive for rendering, not DrawIndexedPrimitive or Vertex Buffers. Also, does anyone know of any good tutorials on character systems? I do not know how I should go about transforming/storing character animation data. Thanks, Shaw Mishrak

Verminaard    122
I''m having the same problems: I''m just not sure how to store my world. Since (i believe) it''s faster to make less commmands to SetTexture(), should everything that uses the same texture be in the same array, even if not on the same object? Just how slow is SetTexture()? Also, I believe it says in the sdk that to take advantage of 3D-Accelerator cards you shoul have about 200 vertexes in a DrawPrimitive call, so if you store each object together that will be much less than 200(unless your world is quite complex).

Also, another question I have: Is there a way to call DrawPrimitive but have different triangles mapped with different textures?