More idiot friendly - SDL or Allegro?

Started by
6 comments, last by asdasd12345 20 years, 3 months ago
Ive asked about SDL before and people also mentioned Allegro - which one is easier? Are there any others about that are even easier?
http://www.geocities.com/asdasd12345/
Advertisement
Its all a matter of opinion. Me id say choose sdl because its cross platform anda wrapper for opengl and direct x. Another good thing is u can get plugins for sdl that have networking and text. So on So Forth. Get Sdl!

Allegro seems to support more features directly without the need for third-party libraries but this is due to the decision to keep the core SDL library as lightweight as possible.

I personally found SDL easier to use as you dont have the hassle of aquiring and releasing the screen and keyboard before you can do anything for example.

My 2D game engine
When you say acquiring and releasing the screeen, do you mean the ''GetDC()'' command.
Why bring up the argument ''cross-platform'' to newcomers in gamdevelopment? Generally, you don''t start off with developing a platform independent game. To a newcomer the simpleness matters most.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Allegro is cross platform, too. And with allegroGL you also can use opengl with allegro.
A couple of pluses allegro has over SDL is the resource packing system and built in font display. You can use the font bitmap tool to generate your fonts, then pack them up with all of your other images, audio files and string tables into a nice little compressed dat file.
>When you say acquiring and releasing the screeen, do you mean the 'GetDC()' command.<

No, you don't need to deal with that, and personally I haven't tried SDL so I can't really tell which one is easier. I'll give you a small code sample so you get an idea what it looks like
#include <allegro.h>int main(){	allegro_init();	install_timer();	install_mouse();	install_keyboard();	set_color_depth( 16 );	set_gfx_mode( GFX_AUTODETECT_FULLSCREEN, 800, 600, 0, 0 );        //create offscreen bitmap	BITMAP *buffer = create_bitmap( SCREEN_W,SCREEN_H );	while(1)	{		clear( buffer );		//do your rendering here...                                 //flip buffer to the screen		blit( buffer, screen, 0, 0, 0, 0,SCREEN_W,SCREEN_H );		if( key[KEY_ESC] ) break; 	}       	destroy_bitmap( buffer );	return 0;}END_OF_MAIN();

[edited by - FtMonkey on January 12, 2004 7:23:36 AM]
The monkeys are listening...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement