• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joeyg2477

3d graphics?

This topic is 5250 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok i am new to this site and am wanting to get into so game programming but don''t really understand all the steps envolved and i have a few question for when i get to 3d graphic programming.... 1)can you do 3d graphics with nothing but win32 or gdi, or do you have to use opengl or directx? 2)kind of goes with the first question which is do you have to have a program like 3ds max to make 3d graphics or is just for advanced 3d graphics? also when i mean 3d graphics i mean 3d graphics that i can use in a game>>> thanks

Advertisement
1: Sure, but you''ll end up doing a whole load more maths than if you used an API like OpenGL or DX. And it''ll almost certainly be slower. On the plus side you''ll get a much more complete understanding of the whole process.

2: 3ds can be used to make models (for players, weapons, items etc.) but is not essencial (just like you can use photoshop to make 2d graphics, but its not essencial). Its often easier when starting to generate objects somehow (like from heightmaps) than loading in models from file.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!