• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blide

Choosing 3D API

This topic is 6544 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am writing a 3d rpg game for windows. I am really stuck about which one of these 3d graphics apis to use: opengl, d3d or something like genesis3d. I am leaning more towards either opengl or d3d. By the way i am using directinput, directsound, and directmusic, and the win32 api. I can''t decide which would be easier and simpler to use. I have heard opengl is simpler than d3d...but i don''t know if that is true. On the other side I am using all other directx stuff...and d3d would fit in nice. I have learned some opengl from nehe''s site and used it well....i know some directdraw so i can use that to start using d3d. Which ever one I choose I can get a book for it so that is not an issue. Which do u guys reccomend and why? Thanks for any help! -blide blide@mail.com

Advertisement
This has been the starting point for countless "OpenGl vs D3D" flame-wars so I recommend too search the forum for those thread(or look in the forum faq,there is a little)comparison....

But I´ll give some hints:

"I can''t decide which would be easier and simpler to use."
If that´s the only important thing to you than use OpenGl.

But coding a 3d-engine is no matter of API anyway....In most 3d-engines the api-specific part is the smallest....And if you design good code with minimizing api-calls in mind you´ll have no problem to swith apis later....

Personally I have one problem with D3D:
It destroys the beauty of my code....

HTH,XBTC!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!