Choosing 3D API

Started by
0 comments, last by blide 23 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I am writing a 3d rpg game for windows. I am really stuck about which one of these 3d graphics apis to use: opengl, d3d or something like genesis3d. I am leaning more towards either opengl or d3d. By the way i am using directinput, directsound, and directmusic, and the win32 api. I can''t decide which would be easier and simpler to use. I have heard opengl is simpler than d3d...but i don''t know if that is true. On the other side I am using all other directx stuff...and d3d would fit in nice. I have learned some opengl from nehe''s site and used it well....i know some directdraw so i can use that to start using d3d. Which ever one I choose I can get a book for it so that is not an issue. Which do u guys reccomend and why? Thanks for any help! -blide blide@mail.com
-blideblide@mail.com
Advertisement
This has been the starting point for countless "OpenGl vs D3D" flame-wars so I recommend too search the forum for those thread(or look in the forum faq,there is a little)comparison....

But I´ll give some hints:

"I can''t decide which would be easier and simpler to use."
If that´s the only important thing to you than use OpenGl.

But coding a 3d-engine is no matter of API anyway....In most 3d-engines the api-specific part is the smallest....And if you design good code with minimizing api-calls in mind you´ll have no problem to swith apis later....

Personally I have one problem with D3D:
It destroys the beauty of my code....

HTH,XBTC!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement