3Dfx Emulation

Started by
10 comments, last by Bawcior 23 years, 8 months ago
A simple question - can''t find answer I have purchased about 1 and 1/2 year ago Compaq Presario 1810 - a laptop with great (as I fought) graphic card NeoMagic 256 AV. This card has 3D acceleration but the problem is it''s not hartware. It''s only software. The games I run that doesn''t need 3Dfx look very good and I know this card can very easy handle any game that need 3Dfx. The only problem is that I can''t run them because the system says: "Need to have 3Dfx, need to have 3Dfx, need...". I was just wondering if there is any way I can "cheat" the system so that graphics would be done by my NeoMagic and system would think it is 3Dfx (I can''t buy 3Dfx card because it is laptop; I spent lot of money on it and I don''t have anought to buy another). If anyone knows solution please write to pawelczarnota@hotmail.com or simply leave reply here. Thanks P.S. This card is so good that my laptop (P2-300) I can watch DVDs and the quality is great (no choppy playback) Pawel Czarnota
Pawel Czarnota
Advertisement
I believe there are things called glide wrappers which basically translate all 3dfx calls to either opengl or d3d. Go to www.glideunderground.com to find the newest ones.....but I don''t know if they work with normal apps...they were made mainly for thing like the 3dfx only n64 emulator. Btw, I have a compaq presario 1765 w/ amdk62 380mhz...64mb ram...8mb ati rage lt pro video card, and it hella lags on mario64 using glide wrapper(its not the emulator, or the wrappers fault, its the card) although your card is not the same as mine...if u want to be able to run newer 3d games with your card u have no chance....but if u want glide just for older games this actually may be a good solution.
remember:
http://www.glideunderground.com

Good Luck!

-blide
blide@mail.com
-blideblide@mail.com
Thanks, I''ll try it

Pawel Czarnota
Pawel Czarnota
Well Now,

There are loads of glide wrappers and similar things around. And I''ll just mention that laptops still only have a maximum of a 8mg Graphics cards, they just aren''t that good. Of course they run super fast.

STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!
well, i have tried tons of glide wrappers on my geforce ( inlucing unified, Creature Labs driver) and none of them has worked with even simple games. some of them just wont start or cause crashes, some produce so crappy display ( without textures etc ) you wouldnt be able to play anyways. although, now as glide source is free, somebody might even get it to work properly.
BTW, no matter what kind of neomagic chip you have, it wont run Glide apps decently anyways. I have on myself ( MagicGraph 128XD in my HP3000 ) and its a 3D deccelerator. Neomagic only makes chips for laptops, they havent done any decent 3D accelerator.
-kertropp C:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad ideaC:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point
Ya, my new comp has a geforce in it and i cannot get any glide wrapper to work with it! oh well....i dont have that many uses for glide other than ultra hle(n64 emulator)

-blide
blide@mail.com
-blideblide@mail.com
Well, what can I say, I tried a few glide wrappers and none of them works. I think I''ll just stick with me Need For Speed High Stakes and watch new games and other programs that only need Software Acceleration. Thanks to All of You for your time in this discussion. By the way does anyone knows where to find free domain registration WITH free web hosting service(yes both free or not too expensive=less than $9/month). I can find many free domain registrations but none of the web hosting services are free. Once again that you to All.

Pawel Czarnota
Pawel Czarnota
Well, it''s not for free, but you could give http://www.ruhrtal.com/ a try, it''s not too expensive. I got a domain at them (.de domain, nic is more expensive than .com). But it''s a german hoster, so I don''t know whether you''ll be able to use their services. Ask them. If you take a server in the US, it''s cheaper than if you do in Germany, so it could be what you wanted. An account with 25MB of storage, including a domain (ask explicitly for .com), 10 POP3-Accounts but no smtp-server costs 129,- Deutschmarks a year, that''s about 65 U$. But you should check their speeds at first, as their goal is to get customers in germany, so I don''t know how fast it is from within the US.

HTH
pi~
Jan PieczkowskiBrainwave Studios
Well, it''s not for free, but you could give http://www.ruhrtal.com/ a try, it''s not too expensive. I got a domain at them (.de domain, nic is more expensive than .com). But it''s a german hoster, so I don''t know whether you''ll be able to use their services. Ask them. If you take a server in the US, it''s cheaper than if you do in Germany, so it could be what you wanted. An account with 25MB of storage, including a domain (ask explicitly for .com), 10 POP3-Accounts but no smtp-server costs 129,- Deutschmarks a year, that''s about 65 U$. But you should check their speeds at first, as their goal is to get customers in germany, so I don''t know how fast it is from within the US.

HTH
pi~

p.s.: please send me the test results, just curious how fast their us-conn is
Jan PieczkowskiBrainwave Studios
There are alot of things that look better with 3Dfx stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement