• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free VC++ .NET IDE

This topic is 5151 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need an IDE for the VC++ .NET compiler. Does anyone know of any free ones out there? Any that resemble devenv (the one that comes with VS .NET)? (Moved from game programming, was the wrong forum before.)

Advertisement
VC++.NET already comes with an IDE.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.”
— Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Might want to take a look at [url=www.eclipse.org]eclipse[/url]
their is a plugin for c/c++ that uses make files, you MIGHT be able to hack somehting up using VS''s makefiles with it

I use eclipse with msys and mingw, went away from the $ hogers

I have a slow computer and I want one that works like it, but is faster. That means the new IDE can cut some stuff out, but must have a debugger. If not, I can just use the IDE that came with it, but I would rather not.

I''m just speculating but maybe because he has the .NET framework SDK that comes with the Visual C++ .NET Compiler. It doesn''t come with the idea but just the compiler part of Visual C++ .NET and he wants an IDE for it.

So long as you are ready to specify the compilation flags yourself, just about any ''generic'' IDE (eclipse, emacs...) will be able to use microsoft''s compiler.

Remember, an IDE is just a glorified text editor.

quote:
Original post by cilcoder
I''m just speculating but maybe because he has the .NET framework SDK that comes with the Visual C++ .NET Compiler. It doesn''t come with the idea but just the compiler part of Visual C++ .NET and he wants an IDE for it.

No, Visual C++ is the IDE (Hence "Visual").

quote:
Original post by cowsarenotevil
quote:

Actually Visual Studio is the IDE/Bundle, Visual C++, Visual C# Visual Basic, Visual j# etc are all compilers/IDE plugins

You can have the IDE without Visual C++ (just install Visual C#, Visual j# or VB)

If you want to get technical, Visual C++ is the C++ package part of Visual Studio. The IDE is devenv.exe, and the C++ compiler is cl.exe.

If you want to get technical.

daerid | Legends | Garage Games | Spirit | Hapy | Boost | Python | Google
"Doomed to crumble, unless we grow, and strengthen our communication" - Maynard James Keenan, Tool

quote:
Original post by daerid
If you want to get technical, Visual C++ is the C++ package part of Visual Studio. The IDE is devenv.exe, and the C++ compiler is cl.exe.
False.

Visual C++ is a brand name for Microsoft''s bundling of the Microsoft C++ compiler with an IDE and development libraries. It is the IDE and the libraries that lend the "Visual" to the brand name, because they focus heavily on aiding developers in creating Win32 GUI applications. You may review MSVC++ 1.52, MSVC++ 4.0, MSVC++ 97 (5.0) and MSVC++ 6.0 for further evidence. The names of the binaries comprising the system vary, but these thematic concepts are constant.

Visual Studio is the collection of Microsoft visual development products - Visual C++, Visual Basic, Visual J++, Visual FoxPro, etc - which have, over time, become better and better integrated with each other (sharing the IDE, for example, is a relatively new development; only then was the IDE binary renamed to devenv.exe).

If you want to get really technical. Of course, it''s also pointless and anal.

quote:

I believe I have a valid point in calling the compiler part the Visual C++ .NET Compiler. The reason being that if you install the .NET framework SDK by iteself it creates a visual studio .net directory and includes the C++ compiler stuff with it. So it is the compiler portion of Visual Studio .NET 2003. Visual Studio .NET 2003 is simply a product name.

A lot of this is off topiic.

All I wanted was a new IDE (meaning devenv.exe) It seems that that can''t be done, so I''ll use the default one. Again, thanks for replying.

quote:
I believe I have a valid point in calling the compiler part the Visual C++ .NET Compiler. The reason being that if you install the .NET framework SDK by iteself it creates a visual studio .net directory and includes the C++ compiler stuff with it.
No, it doesn''t. It creates the path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\IDE and populates it with help files. It may have also created the path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\IDE, but it leaves that directory empty.

I''ve been using it for almost eight years. Trust me.

quote:
Original post by Newfound Ajarn
A lot of this is off topiic.
Imprecision is the sign of a feeble mind.

quote:
All I wanted was a new IDE (meaning devenv.exe) It seems that that can''t be done, so I''ll use the default one.
quote:
Original post by Fruny
So long as you are ready to specify the compilation flags yourself, just about any ''generic'' IDE (eclipse, emacs...) will be able to use microsoft''s compiler.

Remember, an IDE is just a glorified text editor.
Your failure to take Fruny''s comments into account in pronouncing that it apparently can''t be done supports the "feeble mind" jab. No offense, though...

An IDE invokes the command line compiler with a set of parameters. If you can configure your IDE of choice (pick one - seriously) then it can use the Microsoft C++ compiler. Alternatively, you can have your IDE create/export a makefile and use Microsoft''s make utility.

Jesus Christ! How many ways can you NOT answer a simple question? It doesn''t matter WHY he wants, what he''s going to do with it or what the exact definition of "Visual C++" is.... He just wants a friggin'' IDE.

This is Bloodshed''s list of "free compilers" - most come with an IDE.

http://www.bloodshed.net/compilers/index.html

I''ve also heard KEdit mentioned by more than on respectable programmer. You''ll have to google for it though.

-----------
VenDrake

"My stupid jar is full. I can''t talk to you anymore."

There is also Borland C++ Builder X. It is a free dowonload and you can plugin any compiler you''d like (it comes with Borland''s own compiler, mingw, and a preview of a 100% C++ standard compliant Borland compiler).

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.

William James (1842 - 1910)

quote:
Original post by VenDrake
Jesus Christ! How many ways can you NOT answer a simple question? It doesn''t matter WHY he wants, what he''s going to do with it or what the exact definition of "Visual C++" is.... He just wants a friggin'' IDE.
Of the IDEs/editors you reference, which can be used with Visual C++? Do you provide instructions or links to instructions for doing so?

"Voice of reason" posts are often more ignorant than those they attempt to moderate.

Oh, and KEDIT costs $159.

quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
quote:
Of the IDEs/editors you reference, which can be used with Visual C++? Do you provide instructions or links to instructions for doing so?

"Voice of reason" posts are often more ignorant than those they attempt to moderate.

Oh, and KEDIT costs $159.

My single incomplete / incorrect post still gave the OP more relevant information than your five highly accurate and technically concise posts.

-----------
VenDrake

quote:
My single incomplete / incorrect post still gave the OP more relevant information than your five highly accurate and technically concise posts.
Did it? Did your post indicate whether the IDEs listed worked [well] with the Microsoft C++ compiler? Did your post indicate how to get them to work with the above-named compiler?

You listed IDEs. Google can do that, too. Realize that message threads sometimes take strange paths, and that people other than the OP sometimes learn useful things along the way.

Or, to paraphrase Robert Ludlum, Get off your high horse. You''re just a lousy homemaker-f**ker like the rest of us.

Have a nice day!

newfound ajarn:
Visual Studio .NET has dynamic help on by default. Dynamic help can be very slow if your computer can''t handle it. Try turning that off for a speed improvement.

Otherwise there''s not much else you can do really. Visual Studio isn''t really all that slow but it uses lots of memory, so perhaps you could try adding more ram to your system. You should have at least 128 mb at the bare minimum. I''d recommend atleast 256 mb though. Especially if you''re running Windows XP. Ram isn''t all that expensive these days either.

-out

quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Get off your high horse. You''re just a lousy homemaker-f**ker like the rest of us.

He asked for IDEs. I gave him a place to start looking. If you want to start a flame war talk to the sig.

-----------
VenDrake

• Advertisement