[java] Pluggable Architecture

Started by
1 comment, last by Preacher 20 years, 3 months ago
Hi im developing a 3dChess game for a college project and i would like to implement a plugabble architecture. this is my fist serious software development project and would like to hear some more experienced views on ways to go about this. My only idea at this time is to create a core class that broadcasts custom events (e.g. MoveEvent, PropertyChangeEvent etc.) to any object that imlpements a pluggableListener interface and registers with the core to receive events. I have never written any custom events before or any eventBroadcasters before, so if anybody has any tips or pointers to tutorials i would be most grateful. I would also be interested to hear if anyone knows of any other ways to implement a pluggable architecture. Thanks v.much
Advertisement
Check out JMS for an easy way to broadcast/subscribe.

I would look into J2EE stuff. Web services are essentially plug-in programs. You can also check out some service based architecture stuff. www.openwings.org is a service based architecture model that might provide some insight.
He''s a bad motha - Shut yo mouth.
You can also check out Squirrel SQL. It is an open source SQL client. It provides good support for plug-ins and is written in Java. So you can get the source for it to see how they do it. They also have API docs for the plug-ins that should help.

First make it work, then make it fast. --Brian Kernighan

The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)

Do not interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. - Napolean Bonaparte
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement