• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registering glut functions.

This topic is 5158 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Initializing glut, I would normaly write something like: void display() { ... } glutDisplayFunc(display); But, what if I want to place the display function within an object? For example I could put it into a class called Scene, thus writing: Scene scene; glutDisplayFunc(scene.display); Trying this gives me the following error: error C2664: 'glutDisplayFunc' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'void (void)' to 'void (__cdecl *)(void)' What am I doing wrong? Kristian [edited by - kvinther on January 12, 2004 6:12:19 AM]

Advertisement
(1) Is the type of the ''display'' member correct? (not a problem if ''display'' is actually a *method* of scene - but you might be trying to store a function pointer as part of scene''s data - in which case you''d need to match up your types.)

(2) If display is a method of scene, is it static? Scraping together some stuff I''ve heard in recent discussion here, it will need to be. The reason is simply this: if you could point to a non-static method of scene, and then pass that pointer to somewhere... when the recipient tries to dereference the pointer, it doesn''t know where to get ''this'' from (since the pointer doesn''t remember anything about the initial ''scene'' instance). Thus the whole process is impossible.

Excellent!

That solved the problem. I guess I should have thought about the problem a little longer, instead of just sobbing over compiler errors...

Thank you.

• Advertisement