• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

who has made actual games on this forum?

This topic is 5151 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I guess some people weren''t paying attention. The original poster said:

quote:
Original post by CoNfUzId One
post the names and what they are about!

... yet the first four replies give no names and no extra information. Come on, post details!

quote:
Original post by Alimonster
... yet the first four replies give no names and no extra information. Come on, post details!

The fourth reply, which is mine happens to have a link that says "Turt''s Puzzle Blocks" this is the name of the game. whats the game about? will nothing exactly its a Puzzle game that uses Blocks... heheh

Sorry, I was more or less just playing around and posting like the original three. I''m curious to know what an "Actual" game is? it seems that they are saying there is a different between making a game and making an actual game, or maybe they are just refering to finishing a game..

1) Stenson and the Caves of Cualihyde-- My first full, completed game, a text-based adventure that included an interactive level-editor for creating room descriptions and room contents, and linking everything together. Cheesy in the extreme, it is where I began to work out the ideas and techniques for implementing role-playing combat systems, and for implementing data-driven level handling. The quest involved a large, muscle-bound warrior with the approximate brain function of a wilted carrot, exploring the town of Khelb to discover the reason so many citizens are dying in their sleep. His quest eventually leads him into the caves beneath the city landfill, and pits him in a violent head-to-head confrontation with the Rat King, whose magically borne plague is quickly escalating out of control.

2) Stenson and the Lance of Fire-- Our oafish, brain-sickly hero returned in a Mode 13h top-down, Gauntlet-like scroller/shooter. Collect food, keys and powerups as you shoot enemies with your Mylthirian Fire Lance. Upgrade your Lance to shoot different spells. This one was technically completed, at least code-wise, but never had more than 4 levels created for it. Not to mention, it sucked. It is here that I learned I was never destined to be a pixel artist. In this one, the ever-heroic and ever-braindead Stenson must arm himself with the Fire Lance--a weapon currently in development and testing phases at the magical Academy of the Mylthiri--and descend into the labyrinthine depths of the earth to combat an ever-increasing flood of flame-eyed demon Maugrim, pouring from an inter-dimensional portal set in a chamber far beneath the surface.

3) OGRESlash-- This unfortunately named bagger was a graphical roguelike inspired by my all-time favorite game, Nethack. All graphics were drawn with OpenGL, but the characters, monsters, items and so forth were represented by rendered images of ASCII symbols, in a butchering of the tradition of roguelikes. The game was complete, if rather short (about 12 dungeons deep), and served as a platform for developing and polishing my techniques and knowledge. You play the role of a MazeWalker, trained at the Academy of the Mylthiri in one of the stereotypical dungeon-hacking roles, to enter again the Caves of Cualihyde (beneath the city of Khelb), and investigate a crack opened up by a recent earthquake, form which evil magic pours in a flood. It was a top-down and from the front tile-based in which I developed many of the libraries and methodologies that I later imported into...

4) Golem: Lands of Shadow-- This is an isometric hack-and-slash similar to Diablo/Diablo 2, that includes a lot of basecode and libraries I developed for OGRESlash, and makes use of a lot of the random dungeon generation algorithms I developed as well. It will be my first released game-- that is, the first one I will actually let other people play. It is my current work-in-progress, and the bulk of my time is currently spent polishing the engine code and generating the vast amount of graphical data, scripting, level generation rules, treasure tables, and so on. In Golem, you play the part of an Animus, a magically resurrected shade of the dead that can inhabit specially constructed bodies, or golems, to move around and fight battles. The golems--led by the One Golem, a mighty being of stone and steel crafted by the deranged Zephirus, who was the Black One and wizard-emperor of Ambereld, and the first to be slain by his own creation--have risen in bloody revolt against their human masters, breaking the magical chains of restraint to slaughter men, women and children where they stand. At the time of Golem''s beginning, mankind has been reduced to a mere handful of individuals hiding in the tangled Izbrut Mountains, and the One Golem is nearing his goal of extermination. You must oppose the One, and bring an end to the war before men are irrevocably destroyed.

5) Golem: The Ubiquitous Sequel-- This one really doesn''t count, because it hasn''t gone beyond the prototype stage, but in some respects it is "game-like"; that is, you can walk around and do some things in prototype. I work out tech ideas and design on it in between sessions of Golem 1 to relieve the monotony and preserve my interest in finishing Golem 1. It is a fixed camera, 3D hack-and-slash much like Golem the First, but utilizing fully 3D models and terrain, with a viewpoint similar to that seen in games such as Age of Mythology. It will overcome some of the limitations I have run into with my Golem 1 engine, and allow me to do some things I can not presently do.

There were any number of other little projects in between all of these, mostly educational and never completed, nor meant to be completed.

Josh
vertexnormal AT linuxmail DOT org

Check out Golem: Lands of Shadow, an isometrically rendered hack-and-slash inspired equally by Nethack and Diablo.

I have made a pong clone, and a missile command clone. I''ve started a platform game that I haven''t finished. I''ve also made a program that can draw any graph specified by two expressions in y and x, but that''s not really a game.

A few. I''ve done a pong clone, ''falling block game'', a minesweeper clone called Detector, and a small rpg called Sands of Pain.

I made a sliding block puzzle game called Sliders. I'm now working on making an update for it because of a few bugs found and general disinterest...

http://www.newdeltagames.co.uk/sliders.htm

[edited by - damocles on January 12, 2004 12:35:00 PM]

I made a demo, it got me an interview at the makers of TIE Fighter. Didn't get the job, though.

It had dynamics similar to TIE Fighter but it was just a team shootemup with 8 teams, and had an indicator that showed you which way you needed to turn to get the target in view.

Very hard to play. I didn't dumb up the AI enough to make the dogfighting all that much fun.

Star Arena 3005

No promises on how well it works.
The best way I found is to have your teammates cover you while you dodge your attacker's shots with the rear view on.

[edited by - Waverider on January 12, 2004 1:14:38 PM]

We have a small team of 2 people, Bouncing Dwarfs. The game, Ball Competition, has not yet been released, but at least we have come to the stage we would like to call "Final Beta".

The game is a crazy twist on a platformer. Multiplayer-support for up to 32 players (the limit has never been reached and may not support that many with the

current bandwidth). The GameType "Capture the Ball" is a clone of the very famous "Capture the Flag"-GameType. It is programmed using Visual Studio C++ 6.0 and is rendering graphics through OpenGL.

Hopefully, there will at least be a release of the "Final Beta" version.
If it sounds interesting to you, there is a download-link from our site, www.ballcompetition.com, where you can see the idea.

Ball Competition: http://www.ballcompetition.tk
Bouncing Dwarfs: http://w1.550.telia.com/~u55006518/

Comments? -> jollan34@hotmail.com

Greetings, Klegg

"To relax but not stay,
is the fastest existing way"
// Klegg

made a pong and space invaders clone, but I don''t like them.. the only game like that I made is Stones. I haven''t really gotten serious about game developement yet though.. All because my complete lack of being able to do nothing graphically..

I made a complex 2d pong game and I''m working on a secret of mana style game. It''s gonna be a blast.

Kevin

I''ve made: tetris clone, 2 top-down-scrolling space shooters (only one level for each of them though), and a game where you wonder around a maze looking for keys to doors.

Space Invaders!!! with sound
2d with SDL (Sprites)

My next one will be a vertical or horizontal scroller in OpenGl

i love the classic games.

Lazzar

I just finished my first game called Shape Shooter. I think the name pretty much explains the whole thing. It only has one level because it was the first assignment for my graphics class, I had to do something "creative" and I only had 4 days to do it. You can check it out here.

It uses Java 1.1 so it should be compatible with whatever you are running. I am well aware that it is out of date and deprecated but the base code the professor gave us used it and I was too lazy to update some of the methods to Java 1.4 standards.

Clippy:"OMG, A NUMBAR! Let me format it for you"
Unsuspecting Student: "Ahhhhh! Damn you paperclip you ruined my paper. A thousand deaths upon you!"

"Game Programming: Without programming you've just got game"

[edited by - cmptrgear on January 12, 2004 3:49:11 PM]

I''ve made quite a few, though mostly crap.

1. XWing
No, not X-Wing from Lucas. This predates even that. Line graphics, ties scaled in, you zapped them with a lazer, they explode in to circles, etc... Late 80''s, or early 90''s.

2. Star-Trek clone
Very old. Text based, with some graphics. You were at the helm of a space ship, could move in any direction, would encounter random things. Resource managment was key. Late 80''s or early 90''s.

3. Gung-ho Joe
In this game you shot people with a machine gun by moving crosshairs around the screen using the keyboard (this is pre-windows). Very gory. 32 frames of gore, all done using a drawing package I wrote. Early 90''s to mid 90''s.

3. Head Crusher
If you''re familiar with ''Kids in the Hall'' then you''ll know who the head curher is. In this game you controlled a very large hand that would squish the heads of pedestrians stolling about down-town Toronto, Canada. The ''enemies'' would walk from left to right (or vice-a-versa) and included such classics as: the old lady with and her walker, a boy on a skate board, a business man, a punk with a mohawk, and a dog. Early to Mid 90''s.

4. Tank Duel (1 & 2)
Adjust the angle and power of your shots to defeat your enemy. Tank duel 1 sported randomly generated terrain. In tank duel 2, the game received a face lift, took advatage of some cool distirbuted processing tools I had available, and could be played over a network. The tanks were real tank images, they short rockets that could rotate, and the battle took place on the African Savanah.. Tank Duel 2 was written as a tech demo to showcase some features of a product the company I worked for developed.. Late 90''s.

5. Konnect-Four
I wrote this a couple years ago. It had pretty graphics, nice sound effects, and a merciless game-tree that would taunt you. It knew when you screwed up (and would insult you accordingly), when you were going to lose (and would insult you accordingly) and when you ''should'' win (hence knowing when you screwed up). 2000 or 2001.

6. Chess
This was playable. I spent most of the time trying to make it play better. The graphics stunk, no sound effects, and it had problems trying to understand pawn-promotions and checkmates.. 2001 or 2.. Can''t remember.

7. Tank Commander 3D
This is my latest game. ALMOST done. I''ve done tons of 3D demo stuff, but never tried making a 3D game. Tank Commander runs on almost any Java enabled cell phone, and you even get a decent frame rate. You''re operate a tank, looking at the world through the tanks gun sights. Driving around, avoiding obstacles, death, and fighting other tanks. Very tricky, considering how limited most cell phones are. There are different types of enemy tank AI''s, and they are adjustable so they can do what they do, only better. 2003-2004. Hopefully you can buy this game sometime soon.

There are probably 20 or 30 other ''games'' that I wrote but either a) didn''t finish, or b) were too stupid to mention.

Cheers,
Will

the only game that i actually finished was a Alien Force clone made in TurboPascal with asm for the graphics stuff a few years ago. the AI sucked though. the main feature was that you could edit the looks of your ship by editing a text file. after that i mostly did applications programming. recently i have worked on a 2D game project for som time, and a have a working particle engine and blitting etc, but a lot of time was spent writing a font editor, an sprite editor, a script compiler, a script virtual machine and a data compression program (which of the latter is 80% done, then i will start on the actual game).

• Advertisement