• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncivil

VC 7.1 and 6.0

This topic is 5413 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The company that makes one of the APIs that we use is going to switch to VS .Net. Are libraries and dlls compiled in VC++ 7.1 compatible with VS 6.0 and vise versa?

Advertisement
Not entirely. Some code amendments will have to be made. If the code is substantial, so will the amendments be. The most obvious is the introduction of managed C++ in .NET which will not function correctly, if at all, with VC++ 6.

quote:
Original post by Mathematix
The most obvious is the introduction of managed C++ in .NET which will not function correctly, if at all, with VC++ 6.
You don''t have to use managed c++ in .NET.

If you take your VC6 code and compile it with VC7.1 it should work just nice.

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

quote:
Original post by _DarkWIng_
quote:
Original post by Mathematix
The most obvious is the introduction of managed C++ in .NET which will not function correctly, if at all, with VC++ 6.
You don''t have to use managed c++ in .NET.

If you take your VC6 code and compile it with VC7.1 it should work just nice.

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

Did I say you had to use managed code in VC++ 7.1? No! Please read the post properly before commenting next time.

Secondly, from personal experience of the transition from VC++ 6 to 7 it is very likely that you will need to modify code due to version 7''s more robust compiler.

quote:
Original post by Uncivil
But what about already compiled 3rd party libraries (not using managed code)?

Everything should be as it was before, except if you try to recompile code with the different versions, that''s when differences will become apparent.

Keep in mind that the latest versions of the Visual C++ compiler are more ANSI compliant than the previous versions.

"Are libraries compiled in VC++ 7.1 compatible with VS 6.0 and vise versa?"

Of course not!

"Are dlls compiled in VC++ 7.1 compatible with VS 6.0 and vise versa?"

It''ll work as long as you can meet the dependancies (other dlls you need, e.g. msvcr71.dll), MSVC did not change their calling conventions.

I had alot of trouble moving an ATL/COM project from 6.0 to 7.0.

quote:
Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
"Are libraries compiled in VC++ 7.1 compatible with VS 6.0 and vise versa?"

Of course not!

"Are dlls compiled in VC++ 7.1 compatible with VS 6.0 and vise versa?"

It''ll work as long as you can meet the dependancies (other dlls you need, e.g. msvcr71.dll), MSVC did not change their calling conventions.

I had alot of trouble moving an ATL/COM project from 6.0 to 7.0.

I had quite hard times when i moved my java vm (plain c and assembler) from 6 to 7 and had to return to 6
I do remember having many problems also with the asm output / debug, i presume 7.1 is more reliable than 7.0, any experience on it?

Today i moved Standard WIndows + MFC Library from Borland code to VC7 :| ... it was hell.
The best thing is that i will dont have to do it again

"The Gods Made Heavy Metal And They Saw That It Was Good They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell We Promised That We Would
When Losers Say Its Over With You Know That It’s A Lie The Gods Made Heavy Metal And It’s Never Gonna Die"

THE GODS MADE HEAVY METAL/by
ManOwaR

If a DLL uses the VC6.0 runtime and its linked into a VC7.1 project, does the VC6.0 version use the 7.1''s runtime, or does it continue to use 6.0''s? I''d guess the latter simply because the names are different.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!