• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GottaBeKD

Screenshot: What 3d/Rendering Style is this?

This topic is 5277 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings, There is a screenshot here: http://www.runawaystudios.com/imgsweb/samurai.jpg I really like the way this looks. Is it 3d, or 2d? Tile, or not tile? Isometric or not? These seem to be the 3 main decisions regarding rendering style. Can someone answer these for me? Also, Do you think it is feasible to try and get 40 or 50 of those characters on the scene? To have this kind of engine/graphics in a mmorpg setting? Thanks, please let me know what you think on if it is 2d/3d, using opengl, directx or what? tile? no tiles? isometric? What is it? What should I study to get this effect?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
the terrain and the tunder effect is 3d i guess, the sprites are 2d rendered as billboards...
40 or 50 of these sprites on screen could destroy your app''s performance if u don''t write a good function to draw billboards....a good alghoritm is to divide all these sprites by type (1type have the same texture) and draw theme using vertex arrays...
i dunno if it is programmed with DirectX or OpenGL but it isn''t important...

It''s 2D in 3D.

Not tiled, they are just sprits in placed on a 3D map.

It''s not isometric, you should know. http://zoggles.dyndns.org/zoggles/.

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong

- sitting in his chair doing the most time-consuming thing..

Hey!

These kind of graphics are already used in an MMORPG.
Take a look at Ragnarok Online, there is a free two-weeks trial. I like it, my little brother is addicted:

http://www.google.com/search?q=ragnarok+online

-
CL Game Studios. Probably.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
40 or 50 of these sprites on screen could destroy your app''s performance if u don''t write a good function to draw billboards....a good alghoritm is to divide all these sprites by type (1type have the same texture) and draw theme using vertex arrays...

with 40-50 of them on screen your problem will most likely be fillrate and vertex submission wont matter anymore. building/updating the array might even be more work than just using immediate mode. using one big texture containing as many units as possible will avoid a lot texture changes and if you''re lucky (or dont have many units/few short animations) you might even squeeze them all into one (a bit more wasteful: bind 2-8 -depending on hardware- textures and use the right one depending on an index.. not sure if fragment programs finally allow this without much hassle, even more overkill would be blending them all together will weights being 0 and one being 1.. that will most likely kill your fillrate even more and make it slower than a few more texture changes).

guess i''ll be going and experimenting with blending different animation frames. it will either look smooth or horrible *fg*

Guest Anonymous Poster
Err...you must be kidding no ?
40/50 billboards for a geforce class card is won''t barely alter your framerate !
No need to get into fragement or pixel or vertex program for that...
Even w/ software rendering, you could dump hundreds (if not thousands) of sprites on screen !

The only thing that could alter the performance, as ''anonymnous poster''(!) said, is correct (read, minimal) texture switching.
As for storing everything in one big texture, why not, but remember that billboards for animated objects look very fake if the animation is not smooth enough...

FReD

Thanks for the feedback so far. It''s great.

My plan is indeed to use 2d sprites, so I am under the impression that 40 or 50 on-screen should be no problem.

Regarding using billboards for the sprites, in a 3d environment. Can someone point me to a tutorial, or some reading material on this? Perhaps a book if there is nothing online?

Thanks.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Err...you must be kidding no ?
40/50 billboards for a geforce class card is won''t barely alter your framerate !
No need to get into fragement or pixel or vertex program for that...
Even w/ software rendering, you could dump hundreds (if not thousands) of sprites on screen !

The only thing that could alter the performance, as ''anonymnous poster''(!) said, is correct (read, minimal) texture switching.
As for storing everything in one big texture, why not, but remember that billboards for animated objects look very fake if the animation is not smooth enough...

FReD

I completely agree. What are these people using at home? P100''s? Geez...

I remember an old strategy game for the Sega Saturn called Dragon Force, where two armies of a hundred sprites each would battle to death all at the same time in the screen, in a semi-3D battlefield, at 60 frames per seconds.

There seems to be 3 types of billboarding approaches.

Screen-Aligned
World-Oriented
and
Axial

Which one do you think is being used in the screenshot above.

What are we doing to display the characters as they turn around? So if one of the characters on screen, begins to walk away from us, we need to show his back. How will we accomplish this?

Is the technique to replace the graphic on the billboard? So we''re going to be making 4 or 8 or so graphics for each character? Does this work okay? Is 8 enough?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!