• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slipstream

DirectX vs OpenGL questions

This topic is 5422 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I am researching differences between directX and openGL for a work project. I have found charts on the 2 different methods and what is and is no supported. My problem is I want to be able to find out what can and can''t be supported with lower and higher end systems. For example, I know openGl supports motion blur, but is it recommended with a slower P2 with 32 meg ram?? That''s the real info I am looking for. If anyone can point me in the right direction or offer advice, I''d really appreciate it.

Advertisement
OGL and D3D both support the samethings no matter what your system. (i.e. if you try to use D3D for instance on a P2 with 32 mb ram and a P4 with 1gb RAM it will support the same things)...

The difference in what it supports is up to your graphiccard, not the API...

The difference between a high end and a low end system (with the same graphicscard) depends on how CPU intensive the functions are, but generally speaking any function that is supported by your API (and gfx card) can be run on your computer. It may be slow but you can run it...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!