• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bloodshot

XFile Problem (with image)

This topic is 5243 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I''m cracking up trying to get my head around creating animated characters for a game I''m trying to develop. My idea is to create the characters in 3DS MAX, including bones and animations, then export these characters to .x files. I''ve modelled a character that walks perfectly in max but when I export it (using PandaSoft) it gets a little messy when I view it with the mesh viewer facility. There''s an image of the x-file here Problem. As can be seen in the image one arm and one leg work fine but the other two are all over the place even though they look fine within max. Both sides were modelled/rigged/animated in exactly the same way so I''ve no idea what I''m doing wrong. Is there any specific bone hierarchy that should be followed within max? If anyone has created an animated .x file and has come up against this problem I would be VERY greateful for any advise. Any assistance at all would be great.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
My first suggestion would be to try a different exporter. Use the one that comes with directx instead of Panda?

Thanks for the replies. I initially thought the exporter was the problem as well but I''ve just discovered that if I mirror or copy bones in max then these bones get messed up when exported. Creating new bones each time seems to solve the problem. I figured I''d post this solution in case anyone else has the same problem..

Take it easy...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!