• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Supernat02

Rain and Sleet

This topic is 5427 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It is written in the DirectX SDK that line lists are optimal for making heavy rain and sleet. Has anyone written a rain particle system using line lists/strips and one using a vertex shader? It seems like the vertex shader version would be optimal (less memory and shorter processing time) and pretty easy, but I was wondering if anyone knows for sure. Thanks, Chris

Advertisement
I too am interested so i will boost it back up to the top :-D

But my own opinion is that for HEAVY rain the lines would be optimal, simply because pixel shaders can only shade so many pixels per second..dunno if im right, just my thought...
:-D

-Dan

Yes I realize im a n00b...

The vertex shader will affect points sent as triangles, or lines, so you''re not comparing things appropriatly here.

Also, most cards render lines MUCH slower than polygons. It would be faster to construct thin rectangles that act as lines. Also many cards don''t anti-alias lines (nVidia Quadro cards do, but GeForce cards do not), which means they can add that feature and sell the card for 4 times as much to CAD users.

So, no. Line lists are theoretically good, but realistically sub-optimal.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!