• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Makaze

c++ compiler

This topic is 5379 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i was wonderig where i could buy microsoft visual c++ 6. ive checked price grabber, amazon, ebay, and a plethora of others, and at proce grabber the standard and the professional both cost about 190! and i was wondering if anyone knew a site that sold it for closer to 100 (preferably) or if 190 is pretty much the price im looking at. Thanks in advance! Wheres the any key?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
the student version is probably around 80-100, if there is a university near you. (or better yet if you go to one)

Why would anyone in their right mind would like to use a piece of software so obsolete? Is there a good reason why you don''t want Visual C++ 7 (.1, the 2003 .NET)?

I bought the Standard Edition of Visual C++ .NET 2003 for around $100. I got it at my local CompUSA, but you can find it pretty much everywhere. As for VC++ 6, yeah; go with .NET as it''s much more standard compliant and, from your comment, cheaper.

-Brendan Bond

quote:
Original post by fallenang3l
Why would anyone in their right mind would like to use a piece of software so obsolete? Is there a good reason why you don''t want Visual C++ 7 (.1, the 2003 .NET)?

Um, a lack of optimizing compilation is a pretty good reason... but yeah, .NET is cheaper.

Don't you have Accademic Licence distributions at your University (that is, if you attend uni)?
Accademic licencing is free, but can obviously not be used for anything commercial.. if that's what to use it for though, 190$ isn't really that much, is it?

[edited by - BiTwhise on January 13, 2004 3:14:33 AM]

i dont go to a university per se, but i attend classes even tho imni high school. ill see if my professor can help me out a little. and no, its for personal use so i can keep learning so ill be way ahead in college. also, i heard that C++ 7 .NET was alot different. not just looks and stuff, but coding, and everything was changed. that true or no?

Wheres the any key?

Nope, coding is just about the same. VC.NET might catch a few errors that VC6 wouldn''t have, or throw a few warnings at you that VC6 didn''t, but its still good-old C++ :D

Its VB that made really drastic changes in .NET.

actually, its not "still good old c++".. its for the first time actual good c++.

vc6 c++ i don''t even call a language.. vc6 doesn''t follow any real c++ standard (no wonder, its older:D). vc7.1 does (the one in vs.net 2003) very good.

what you talk about is the .NET part. you don''t have to code in c++.NET, and if you don''t, you stay at "good old c++". else, you have to rethink quite a bit, yes.

If that''s not the help you''re after then you''re going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

davepermen.net

"Why would anyone in their right mind would like to use a piece of software so obsolete?"

Explain how VC 6.0 is "obsolete"

I can still write programs with it, it still compiles them, and they still run. Doesn''t sound obsolete to me. I''m not going to go shell out another $100 bucks for something that just ends up being a bunch of bug fixes for a product I already own. I think software companies release programs with bugs just for the sole fact of being able to sell you a new product 6 months later that is nothing more than bug fixes to the old version, but at the same time has new issues to keep the cycle going.

I havent looked into VC.net cause what I got right now does me just fine =)

Something becomes obsolete when it can no longer meet the requirements of its user. Some may consider VHS obsolete, but if I can put a tape in and watch a movie, then its not obsolete to me. Trying to play quake on an 8086, now thats obsolete. =)

-=[ Megahertz ]=-

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!