• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

c++ compiler

This topic is 5137 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i was wonderig where i could buy microsoft visual c++ 6. ive checked price grabber, amazon, ebay, and a plethora of others, and at proce grabber the standard and the professional both cost about 190! and i was wondering if anyone knew a site that sold it for closer to 100 (preferably) or if 190 is pretty much the price im looking at. Thanks in advance! Wheres the any key?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
the student version is probably around 80-100, if there is a university near you. (or better yet if you go to one)

Why would anyone in their right mind would like to use a piece of software so obsolete? Is there a good reason why you don''t want Visual C++ 7 (.1, the 2003 .NET)?

I bought the Standard Edition of Visual C++ .NET 2003 for around $100. I got it at my local CompUSA, but you can find it pretty much everywhere. As for VC++ 6, yeah; go with .NET as it''s much more standard compliant and, from your comment, cheaper.

-Brendan Bond

quote:
Original post by fallenang3l
Why would anyone in their right mind would like to use a piece of software so obsolete? Is there a good reason why you don''t want Visual C++ 7 (.1, the 2003 .NET)?

Um, a lack of optimizing compilation is a pretty good reason... but yeah, .NET is cheaper.

Don't you have Accademic Licence distributions at your University (that is, if you attend uni)?
Accademic licencing is free, but can obviously not be used for anything commercial.. if that's what to use it for though, 190$ isn't really that much, is it?

[edited by - BiTwhise on January 13, 2004 3:14:33 AM]

i dont go to a university per se, but i attend classes even tho imni high school. ill see if my professor can help me out a little. and no, its for personal use so i can keep learning so ill be way ahead in college. also, i heard that C++ 7 .NET was alot different. not just looks and stuff, but coding, and everything was changed. that true or no?

Wheres the any key?

Nope, coding is just about the same. VC.NET might catch a few errors that VC6 wouldn''t have, or throw a few warnings at you that VC6 didn''t, but its still good-old C++ :D

Its VB that made really drastic changes in .NET.

actually, its not "still good old c++".. its for the first time actual good c++.

vc6 c++ i don''t even call a language.. vc6 doesn''t follow any real c++ standard (no wonder, its older:D). vc7.1 does (the one in vs.net 2003) very good.

what you talk about is the .NET part. you don''t have to code in c++.NET, and if you don''t, you stay at "good old c++". else, you have to rethink quite a bit, yes.

If that''s not the help you''re after then you''re going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

davepermen.net

"Why would anyone in their right mind would like to use a piece of software so obsolete?"

Explain how VC 6.0 is "obsolete"

I can still write programs with it, it still compiles them, and they still run. Doesn''t sound obsolete to me. I''m not going to go shell out another $100 bucks for something that just ends up being a bunch of bug fixes for a product I already own. I think software companies release programs with bugs just for the sole fact of being able to sell you a new product 6 months later that is nothing more than bug fixes to the old version, but at the same time has new issues to keep the cycle going.

I havent looked into VC.net cause what I got right now does me just fine =)

Something becomes obsolete when it can no longer meet the requirements of its user. Some may consider VHS obsolete, but if I can put a tape in and watch a movie, then its not obsolete to me. Trying to play quake on an 8086, now thats obsolete. =)

-=[ Megahertz ]=-

It''s obsolete because it doesn''t follow the c++ standard and therefor makes making cross-platform code extremely hard. Also imo vhs *is* obsolete, have you looked at the quality? Try recording something, then leaving the tape in a chest or so for a year, quality is visibly bad. No such issue with dvds

quote:
Original post by Megahertz
Something becomes obsolete when it can no longer meet the requirements of its user.

And if the requirements of the user are a highly standard compilent C++ compiler then VC++6 is obsolete.

If you dont care about having something which works to the standards the feel free to keep working with VC++6

Also what are you going to use it for? If you are going to use it for the likes of game development, or writing demos, and you want to save you can get away with one of the free compiler/linkers Ming or GCC. I compile my game code with VS.NET 2002 and then GCC and it turns out just fine. I forgot, but I think the generated GCC executable is larger.

But to answer your question directly I thought I saw some copies for less then a $100 on eBay for the PRO edition. With eBay its hit and miss at times.

i got vc++ 6 for 60$ on ebay and thought i was getting jipped

[edited by - penguins on January 13, 2004 3:49:11 PM]

MAinly learning and eventually making demos, but since i already learned on VC++, i guess ill have to buckle down and pay for it

Wheres the any key?

you've got a free IDE+compiler+linker+debugger+profiler available, dev-c++. It's really good for the money you pay (meaning, nothing ), some people actually prefer it to VC6, although I much prefer the debugging features of VC6. The profiler is really basic, just the standard GCC profiling tool. And it can import VC6 projects, although I never tried myself (I bet it's buggy as hell). So, if you can't wait to start coding, and save some money, give it a go. It's a good backup compiler, like when I'm on holiday and working on my parent's computer.

and in VC6, you can disable C++ language extensions, to make it more ANSI standard, although this I think brakes windows builds, or something like that...

[edited by - oliii on January 14, 2004 5:00:06 AM]

In what ways is VC6 not standards-compliant? Are there certain newer parts of the standard that are unsupported? Or does it give non-standard results? I always thought VC6 was fine, since it worked perfectly and seemed to be most commonly used (all sample code I download is written for version 6), but now I''m wondering if it will backfire later on when I''m in the middle of a big project.

There is a free Compiler as good as VC++ 6. Try Dev-C++, just download it off the sourgeforge.net
Why pay?? if there is an alternative except if you just like VC++6 then get it

The best price is if you find a College or UC that has support from Microsoft the price will be much cheapper than online. good luck

quote:
Original post by Makaze
i was wonderig where i could buy microsoft visual c++ 6. ive checked price grabber, amazon, ebay, and a plethora of others, and at proce grabber the standard and the professional both cost about 190! and i was wondering if anyone knew a site that sold it for closer to 100 (preferably) or if 190 is pretty much the price im looking at. Thanks in advance!

Wheres the any key?

Please ignore oliii and harrypt, they have no idea what they are talking about:

DEV-C++ IS NOT A COMPILER

With that out of the way, your best bet is to see if you can get in touch with a university or something and get a student discount.

Yeah yeah DEV-C++ is not a compiler (directly) but to the newbie it is a completely unimportant subtle distinction. Technically it uses mingw as the compiler which is just GCC....

It is sort of like pointing out to people how to pronounce gif....

I mean if you tell me "My compiler is dev-cpp" then I know your compiler is GCC... even though u can make dev-cpp use a different compiler... but if you changed it, then you must know what you are doing and you wouldn''t say my compiler is dev-cpp.

IMHO vc6.0 doesn't worth ur money (just take a look at the service packs bug fix lists) and i guarantee that u'll spend the day laughing vc7.0 is a bit better (just less bugs) but if u dont get the enterprise architect edition dont count on it as an optimizer since gcc will give u much more better results

[edited by - r on January 14, 2004 9:33:30 PM]

try compiling this in 6

for(int i;;for(int i;;

thats why .net is better.

enjoy.

yep, VC7.1 comes with new smiley face decoding tech

what Jonnii was trying to show was that VC7.1 understand proper scoping on varibles in for-loops (although i''ve noticed this has to be turned on as an option and doesnt come as a default, guess there is alot of broken code out there.. )

DevC++ imports VC++6 projects fine (I think the folders sometimes messed up a bit but that may have been fixed). I use it all the time. The only probs i have are sometimes getting libraries for some API''s etc. Still for free you cant complain.

h

BreakoutX

Damn, I didn''t know picking a competent compiler would be such an ordeal. Can VC7 be used as a drop-in replacement form VC6? By using VC7 I''m not obligated to use .NET and all that am I? I''m perfectly happy with what VC6 offers, I just want standards compliance.

I hear people using Dev-C++ a lot, how does it compare? In terms of compliance and code speed? I''ve seen people using it with DX here, does it integrate cleanly like with VC6 or does it require hacks?

• Advertisement