• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTAlex2k2

Beginner... in need of help.

This topic is 5330 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, my name is Alex. Lol, I got no better way to start this post since I''m new, but anyhow. I got a couple of questions about the gaming industry, seeing as how it sparked in interest in me to start making games. 1. What is the average wage of a 3d artist in the gaming industry? ( Money doesn''t matter, and it''s not the reason I''m doing this, but sooner or later, it''s going to. ) 2. What''s the best program out there for a 3d artist? Paid or free, either way. 3. Seeing as how I want to get into the visual side of the gaming industry, would it be necessary for me to learn the programming side? 4. If programming would be necessary, what languages or mostly recommended? Hmm... those are the questions I have, maybe for now. I would really appreciate it if someone took their time to answer it, thanks alot in advanced.

Advertisement
Welcome Alex. First, a warning: I''m not a 3D artist

I don''t think you''ll need to become highly proficient in programming. However, being aware of what the programmers you''ll work with can and cannot do, and the underlying reasons, would probably be useful. That implies at least acquainting yourself with the concepts involved in programming. You know, just to avoid problems liky you building a 3D model that requires 45 different texture files.

Furthermore, many 3D modeler (3D Studio Max, Maya, and even the free Blender) include scripting and/or plug-in facilities. Mastering those tools imply being able to use those facilities, which means learning *some* programming.

If you want to start out with free tools, check out Blender (3D modeler) and Python (programming language - here''s a tutorial).

And unlike what other people here may tell you, you most certainly don''t need to learn to program either C or C++.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.”
— Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)

quote:
Original post by Fruny
Furthermore, many 3D modeler (3D Studio Max, Maya, and even the free Blender) include scripting and/or plug-in facilities. Mastering those tools imply being able to use those facilities, which means learning *some* programming.

Yeah, I also bet you call HTML a programming language

Add this to my questions at the top.

- What programming language do professionals use?

Oh, and thanks Fruny for the response.

No you definitely do need some programming if you want to be a 3d modeler, i know many, and generally you script all of your scenes...

But just a question, what do you guys think of blender? Is it better than Maya PLE ?? Would it be usefull for professional modeling?? (im not the modeler...my friend is...but ill ask just out of curiosity)

-Dan

Yes I realize im a n00b...

quote:
Original post by Ademan555
No you definitely do need some programming if you want to be a 3d modeler, i know many, and generally you script all of your scenes...

Yeah, well... scripting.

quote:
Original post by Ademan555
But just a question, what do you guys think of blender? Is it better than Maya PLE ?? Would it be usefull for professional modeling??

If you''re modelling professionally, you most certainly cannot use Maya PLE.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.”
— Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!