• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dede

Scripting Languages!?

This topic is 5247 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was originally going to roll my own scripting language, but there are so many to choose from, why should I? In fact, there are so many plug in scripting languages, they almost topple the amount of distos of linux. on gamedev.net''s front page has featured CaLua, MonkeyScript, and now AngelScript. I want a light weight scripting language that is excellent with text handling(for my RPG), and at the same time, not python. What should I be looking for? Any easy to use Scripting langauges I should look into? ~~~~~ "One Reality is worth one thousand dreams" Download and play Slime King I.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by dede
I want a light weight scripting language that is excellent with text handling(for my RPG), and at the same time, not python.

Awwwwwww... crap.

Note - python is only 175k !

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.”
— Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)

quote:
Original post by Fruny
quote:
Original post by dede
I want a light weight scripting language that is excellent with text handling(for my RPG), and at the same time, not python.

Awwwwwww... crap.

Note - python is only 175k !
I don''t want an entire language, I just want barely enough to implement a simple FA IA, open doors, and process what the characters are saying to eachother.

~~~~~
"One Reality is worth one thousand dreams"
Download and play Slime King I.

I''d have to say go with Lua (out of personal experience). Comparatively easy to learn, very very easy to integrate.

i wud agree with hplus0603 .... lua is small light weight, easy to learn, easy to use and has reasonable documentation(although i am not satisfied with it) and an active miling list ...
it wud serve ur purpose well.....

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!