New to programming

Started by
12 comments, last by sharpgames 20 years, 3 months ago
quote:Original post by BiTwhise
Start with simple assembly language programming.

Contradiction in terms.

Oh, you meant doing simple tasks with assembly. Yeah, I went through that. Valuable experience. *After* you learn at least the basics of C. Then it will help you understand wtf you''re actually doing in C.

quote:x86 assembly is probably one of the easiest assembly languages to learn.

You have GOT to be kidding me.

Advertisement
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
x86 assembly is probably one of the easiest assembly languages to learn.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have GOT to be kidding me.

x86 assembly is very structured in the way that it is very clear as to which registers are suppose to be used for what, and thus perhaps easier for a beginner. Also, it''s a cisc instruction set, so you don''t need to worry about imidiates beeing too large, jump delay slots, etc.. All the basic instruction only accept two arguments, no conditions or extra imidiates.
I would say that risc in general (as with mips at least) is harder to start off with.
<< Start with simple assembly language programming. >>

Yeah here''s what you wanna do, if you''ve never programmed before.

Start off and write a simple operating system.

Then (if you have time) write a Tetris or Breakout.

VazGames.com

Phil P
Being funny now

I think I(/we)'ve dragged this out for a bit too long now, so I'll shut it after this one

If you're a very logic thinker, you might (like me) find it ok to start with assembly language. It doesn't teach you the paradigms of higher level programming, but it's certainly a rewarding foundation when setting out to learn high level programming and concepts of software engineering.

That be said, if you're less of a logic thinker, and this is in fact the area you most need to work with (thinking like a stupid machine), you're probably more comfortable with a higher level abstractations of program logic.

Personally I like to start at the bottom of the mountain. It might be a steep climb to the top, but at least you know the route by which you came.

[edited by - BiTwhise on January 13, 2004 8:28:59 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement