• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xyz

direct3d longhorn ui?

This topic is 5398 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I heard the Longhorn UI is being developed using Direct3D... is it better than the, for example, WinXP approach? Why? Thanks

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
It could be better because a lot of graphics computation will be done by the vga (freeing a lot of cpu job). Also the new win/gui will be a vector engine, in this way the look of the desktop will be nicer at high resolution (please stand up how is satisfied by the big/very big win char rapresentation).
I don''t know if the new gui could fight with fullscreen d3d application (consider the "old" win32 game), I hope no.

quote:
Original post by xyz
Hi,

I heard the Longhorn UI is being developed using Direct3D... is it better than the, for example, WinXP approach? Why?

Thanks

Yes because it keeps video calculations and rendering where it belongs... on the video card =]

The days of 2D rendering/acceleration are now over, considering even operating systems will be rendering in 3D.

Keep in mind, although the "Avalon" will be using Direct3D for hardware acceleration of UI elements, The developer will likely not know it. XAML is being crafted so that people just focus on the app UI, they don''t have to worry about anything else such as how and why it''s being rendered.

Joel Martinez
http://www.codecube.net/

hmmm... just guessing how paint events will be overridden...

[edited by - xyz on January 13, 2004 11:45:59 AM]

there will not be any visible d3d code..

most of the graphics can be described directly with XAML descriptive languages, and the rest, well, gets some sort of GDI style interface, just full OO, and much more modern, of course.

If that''s not the help you''re after then you''re going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

davepermen.net

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!