• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kieran

User specified resolution

This topic is 5421 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

At the moment, I am choosing the display mode for when my app switches to full screen as follows:
	// get the number of modes we have on the device
	UINT num = m_pD3D->GetAdapterModeCount(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8);
	// enumerate available devices
	m_pD3D->EnumAdapterModes(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8, num-1, &m_display);  
Im using the assumption that the last mode is the highest resolution and bit depth. This seems to be the case and it works great, except for on my laptop where the LCD cant display the highest resolution supported. What I want to do is have a setup file where the resolution is stored. What I want to know is how do I change the above code to get the best mode in a defined resolution? --- The second question is that I currently compile with the following line of code:
	// Create the Direct3D device
	// Assumptions made: using default adapter
	//                   the card can support hardware vertex processing
	if (FAILED(m_pD3D->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, hWnd,
		D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING, &m_d3dpp, &m_pd3dDevice)))
			return E_FAIL;							// failure 
I would like to change it so that it will use hardware vertex processing when it is supported by the graphics card in the system, otherwise use software vertex processing. How would I do this? --- Thanks in advance. Kieran [edited by - Kieran on January 13, 2004 9:53:18 AM]

Advertisement
Well,
I cant say much about your first problem as i am new to DX myself.

As for the second problem , the following code should solve it.

if( FAILED( g_pD3D->GetDeviceCaps( D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, &m_D3DCaps ) ) )
{
return (g_pError->HandleError( "HRESULT CRoadMaxApp::InitializeD3D()" , ERROR_TYPE_D3D ) );
}
DWORD VertexProcessing = 0;

if(m_D3DCaps.VertexProcessingCaps != 0)
VertexProcessing |= D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING;
else
VertexProcessing |= D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING;

if you dont know, then first we get the D3DCAPS ffrom GetDeviceCaps() and then test the DeviceCaps for vertexprocessing. if not zero, then your system supports HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING else software. Now ,use variable VertexProcessing in the foloowing code

if(FAILED(g_pD3D->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, m_hWnd,
VertexProcessing,
&m_d3dpp, &g_pD3DDevice)))

where, m_d3dpp is a D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS structure

I thought that EnumAdapterModes() only returned modes that would work with your configuration, but maybe they are not guaranteed to work with the monitor, just the device. Maybe CheckDeviceFormat() would work

iron_monkey: That works great, thanks. I was just wondering, why use
|= 
instead of just
= 
when assigning the vertex processing type? I can see that it works, but is there a reason that = isnt used?

circlesoft: On most systems, the returned modes are OK, but my laptop (possibly down to a bad monitor driver) thinks it can do higher resolutions than the monitor will handle. I looked into CheckDeviceFormat(), but thats not really what Im looking for. I simply want to enumerate at a specific resolution that I specify (via a setup file).

Thanks for the help so far!
Kieran

Ahh okay I see.

What you need to do then is use the std library or some other file input/output library to read the info in from your file. I know that with std::ifstream it is very easy. Look around for some tutorials maybe

Yes, but how do I get DirectX to just enumerate modes that match a certain resolution?

[edit] After a think about it, I wont use a setup file. What I want it to do is use the resolution that is set on the desktop of the computer. So now, the question is, how do we retreive this information, and still, how do we enumerate only the modes matching that resolution?[/edit]

[edited by - Kieran on January 13, 2004 2:43:06 PM]

I have worked it out. Very easy actually:

// go through the modes finding the correct one
for (UINT i=num; i>0; i--)
{
m_pD3D->EnumAdapterModes(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8, i-1, &m_display);
if (m_display.Width == 800 && m_display.Height == 600) break;
}

Ive decided to go against my last post and have a setup file as it will be better if the user can change to the resolution they want.

My questions are pretty much answered now, so thanks a lot all.

One last thing though, from above, why |= and not = ?

[edited by - Kieran on January 13, 2004 2:54:48 PM]

[edited by - Kieran on January 13, 2004 2:55:45 PM]

If anyone is interested, this is how I have loaded the resolutions from file:

// open resolution setup file
std::ifstream inputf("setup/res.txt");
// if file not open, try other folder
if (!inputf.is_open())
{
// try opening file again
std::ifstream inputf("..\\setup/res.txt");
// if still not open, quit
if (!inputf.is_open()) PostQuitMessage(0);
}
// to hold width and height
UINT w, h;
inputf >> w;
inputf >> h;
// close file
inputf.close();

Then this finds the best mode at that resolution:

// go through the modes finding the correct one
for (UINT i=num; i>0; i--)
{
m_pD3D->EnumAdapterModes(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8, i-1, &m_display);
if (m_display.Width == w && m_display.Height == h) break;
}

Well keiran , you could use ''='' sign as well. I use this ''|='' convention only when you can assign several values to a variable such as for example dwFlags type which the values is the result of ''OR''ing individual values. I just used it y''know, since i too i am new in DX, there are so many things that can be assigned so many values by ''OR''ing them. So, i thought what if Vertex processing could have other values? So, you could OR them( if they could be ) and you will get the required result.

That sounds sensible. Out of interest, which is the faster operation, ''|='' or ''='' ? I woulc have thought that it is ''='' as ''|='' requires a comparison between all the bits?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!