Need Orbit feature for 3rd person camera

Started by
2 comments, last by DMonaghan 20 years, 3 months ago
I have a working 3rd person camera, which allows me to follow a character around, however i want to add a mouse look feature to this also, which will allow me to look around (360 degrees) the character, while keeping the model (car) in the center, can anyone help me with this? void FollowCamera(void)() { // Get the position of the thing we are looking at, and the orientation of it vec3_Copy(cg.car.position, carpos); vec3_Copy(cg.car.axis[1], cary); // Work out the 2D direction from the car to the camera vec3_Sub(cg.camerapos, carpos, viewdir); viewdir[2] = 0; vec3_Normalise(viewdir); // move out along this vector the correct distance vec3_AddScale(carpos, viewdir, cipher_cvar_Float(cg_thirdpersonrange), cg.camerapos); cg.camerapos[2] += cipher_cvar_Float(cg_thirdpersonheight); // Set the camera orientation // Set the camera up vector vec3_Set(0,0,1, up); // figure out a focus position ( a point ahead of the car) cary[2] = 0; vec3_Normalise(cary); vec3_AddScale(carpos, cary, cipher_cvar_Float(cg_thirdpersonfocus), focus); vec3_AddScale(focus, up, cipher_cvar_Float(cg_thirdpersonfocusheight), focus); // set the view info structure with the camera position and axis vec3_Copy(focus, cg.camerafocus); cg_LookAtToAxisUp(cg.camerapos, focus, up, cg.view.axis[0], cg.view.axis[1], cg.view.axis[2]); }
Advertisement
Use sin/cos to place the camera on an arc at the angle determined by the movement, the rotate the camera back toward the main character at the same angle.

It''s all sin/cos pythagorean stuff.
Use this, with graph :

Car -( 0, Rorbit, 0 )-> CameraOrbitCenter -( Tcam, Rcam, Scam )-> Camera

Use Rorbit to rotate the camera around. Tcam, Rcam and Scam should be positioning the camera behind the car when the car is at (0,0,0).

rotation  += mousex_speed;elevation += mousey_speed;float cos_rot = (float) cos(rotation);float sin_rot = (float)-sin(rotation);float cos_elv = (float)cos(elevation);float sin_elv = (float)sin(elevation);//--------------------------------------// Limit elevation to an angle//--------------------------------------float elv_limit = RadToDeg(85.0f);elevation = (elevation < -elv_limit)? -elv_limit : (elevation > elv_limit)? elv_limit : elevation;//--------------------------------------// calcualte camera position (on the spehre around the player)//--------------------------------------camera_position = player_position - Vector(cos_rot*sin_elv, cos_elv, sinrot*sin_elv) * camera_radius;camera_target   = player_position;               // camera positioncamera_up       = Vector(0, 1, 0);               // requested up vectorcamera_dir      = camera_target - camera_pos;    // calculate dircamera_dir     /= camera_dir.Length();           // normalisecamera_side     = camera_up.Cross(camera_dir);   // calculate side vectorcamera_side    /= camera_side.Length();          // normalisecamera_up       = camera_dir.Cross(camera_side); // recompute up vector

so, for you....

//--------------------------------------
// rotate angles with mouse
rotation += mousex_speed;
elevation += mousey_speed;

float cos_rot = (float) cos(rotation);
float sin_rot = (float)-sin(rotation);
float cos_elv = (float)cos(elevation);
float sin_elv = (float)sin(elevation);

// Limit elevation to an angle
float elv_limit = RadToDeg(85.0f);
elevation = (elevation < -elv_limit)? -elv_limit : (elevation > elv_limit)? elv_limit : elevation;

// set the view vector
vec3_Set((cos_rot*sin_elv), (cos_elv), (sinrot*sin_elv), viewdir);

vec3_AddScale(carpos, viewdir, cipher_cvar_Float(cg_thirdpersonrange), cg.camerapos);

vec3_Set(0,0,1, up);

cg_LookAtToAxisUp(cg.camerapos, carpos, up, cg.view.axis[0], cg.view.axis[1], cg.view.axis[2]);

Everything is better with Metal.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement