• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fonts: Different Machines...

This topic is 5156 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am using the wiggle(wgl) fonts for my game but some fonts on different machines are just not recognized..whats the best way to include font definitions or retrieve the correct font that i use when printing 2D or 3D font. if this isnt possible whats the best way (on windows) to download the font to the machine.. (i.e. Microsoft Word, etc etc).. example.. i wanted to use a chiller Font which is kinda spooky on my WIN 98 machine.. which works.. however on my WInXP machine and the comp at work it just ignores it and goes with a default font. i guess i want to make sure if anyone else plays my game in the future that the correct font will be printed...or would it just be easier to use a universal font like times roman and forget the "special" fonts.?? thanks!

Advertisement
Well, if you wanted *true* compatibility, you could save the characters of the font as a bitmap (or other image), then load the image in the font engine instead of creating a system font. AFAIK, there''s no way to ensure that the font retrieved is going to be exactly the one you want. (Well, you could fill out the LOGFONT structure, then there are probably some enumeration functions that list all fonts returned. But I find bitmaps to be more.. consistent.)

As psykr suggested, bitmaps are probably the best way to go. They''re much faster too (no vector rasterization).

• Advertisement