Controlling monitors from linux

Started by
1 comment, last by browny 20 years, 3 months ago
is there any better way to control the refresh rate, resolution, and other blah blah from within linux ? (specially the refresh rate... cuz i am having this feeling that my monitor has a poor refresh rate in linux than on windows ) Plus one more question.... where do i find linux drivers for my Prolink Internal Modem ?
Z
Advertisement
Better way than what?

Usually you set your monitors specs in /etc/X11/XF86Config and X should automatically use the highest refresh rate your monitor supports at that resolution.

If your refresh rate in X isn''t as high as it should be then you may not have selected the correct settings. Careful with those settings though... Setting them too high could damage your monitor or your video card or both.
Shoot Pixels Not People
As Drakonite was getting at: check that the horizontal and vertical frequencies are set correctly in XF86Config. If they''re too low, the higher end of the resolutions and refresh rates will be out of range. Can''t hurt to check what resolutions have been selected as valid too. Sometimes, if the drivers are a little broken (e.g., the older NVidia drivers) they misdetect what resolutions are in range and disallow the higher ones; in that case, you have to disable some ReadEDID option (can''t remember the specifics anymore).

About the modem: can you find out what chipset it uses? You may be able to find out by opening a terminal and typing "lspci"; look for the one that looks like a modem and paste the whole line. While you''re waiting for a response, you may want to give Google a try with the results too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement