• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

picklejuice

when you were still learning c++...

This topic is 5243 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

... if you were still in school, how did you find the time to learn c++ (i''m really hyped about the programming concept, but I never seem to find the time to practice) I realise that this may seem like a useless post, but do any of you guys have tips for me? thanks -Pieter-Paul

Advertisement
While I was in high school, I did most of my programming during the summers. I also got permission from my high school to do an Independent Study of AP Computer Science. I got class credit for it, so that freed up some time. Find out if you can do something similar.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

[edited by - sneftel on January 13, 2004 1:50:47 PM]

thanks man

as for the extra credit stuff, i'm Belgian, and it doesn't really work that way (if it does, than that will be in the last two years, so it doesn't work that way RIGHT NOW =p )
in any case, i'll do a heck of a lot of programming during fridays, and hope with all my heart that I can get the same skills you guys got

btw: thanks for the help, appreciate it

--EDIT: spelling--

Pieter-Paul

[edited by - picklejuice on January 13, 2004 1:56:17 PM]

I just go home, program and read for a few hours, then do my homework and sleep. I usually only get 4-6 hours of sleep a night.

R.I.P. Mark Osback
Solo Pa Mi Gente
VG-Force

Yeah I use to do the same with go home and only sleep for 4-5 hours a night. But while you are young take advantage of it. If you want to learn it you will find a way! Good luck!

During middle school (7th-8th grade), my work load wasn''t that hard, and I took advantage of that time period to start learning. Right now, I''m in 11th grade, and the workload is crazy (my school being full of overachievers). So, I just program whenever I have time, which is usually thinking of ideas when I''m commuting, or on those rare days / vacations when I don''t have homework.

Sneftel, I''m also interested in doing an independent study during senior year, but I think there are courses that I really want to take. What did you do for your study?

The trick is to keep your social life going during school and on the weekends. Do your homework right after school (or, if you want to be like I was, don''t), then read about programming and practice programming at all other times. And yeah, definitely skimp on your sleeping.

That''s the beauty of school, you have so much free time, and even when you''re at school you''ve still got a social life going. Now that I''m working life sucks and I only have enough time to either keep my social life going, or do my hobby programming. I have chosen friends over programming. I program at work though, so I''m still in practice, just harder to learn the things I want to learn for myself.

-out

quote:
Original post by psykr
Sneftel, I''m also interested in doing an independent study during senior year, but I think there are courses that I really want to take. What did you do for your study?

I got a couple of programming textbooks and I read through them, doing the exercises as well as my own programs. Since I''d already fulfilled all my graduation requirements, and my high school had a dearth of interesting classes, IS was perfect for me.

Now, I should mention that at that point I was very proficient in C and other programming languages. If you''re just starting out in programming, independent study might not be right for you.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

ouch, missing out on sleep is the most unhealthy thing anyone can advise, personaly i can stay awake on 6h sleep but i''ve always needed 8h sleep to be at peak performance.

Personaly while I was at school (and we are talking early 90s here) I was doing mostly BASIC programming and some Assembler around the age of 15/16 (1995/96) and i never touched C++ until i went to Uni in 1998.
As BillPo says, the trick is to keep your social life alive at the same time, i didnt manage to do that for a number of reasons and while i dont regret the way I grew up it has since caused me a few ''issues'' in the rest of my life which might have been avoided

[engage rant mode]
tbh, threads like this (no offense to the OP btw, this is just a pet rant of mine) are a good sign of whats going wrong with the world, kids being tested to death at school and people worrying about what they want to do after school before they have even cleared 11 years of age in some case :|
Just seems to me that we are pushing people harder and harder, all in search the mythical ''highest standard'' and not worrying about the lack of childhood, the extra stress and the fact that, in all probabilty, this kids are going to burn out at an earlier and earlier age.
[rant mode off]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!