• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

when you were still learning c++...

This topic is 5150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

... if you were still in school, how did you find the time to learn c++ (i''m really hyped about the programming concept, but I never seem to find the time to practice) I realise that this may seem like a useless post, but do any of you guys have tips for me? thanks -Pieter-Paul

Advertisement
While I was in high school, I did most of my programming during the summers. I also got permission from my high school to do an Independent Study of AP Computer Science. I got class credit for it, so that freed up some time. Find out if you can do something similar.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

[edited by - sneftel on January 13, 2004 1:50:47 PM]

thanks man

as for the extra credit stuff, i'm Belgian, and it doesn't really work that way (if it does, than that will be in the last two years, so it doesn't work that way RIGHT NOW =p )
in any case, i'll do a heck of a lot of programming during fridays, and hope with all my heart that I can get the same skills you guys got

btw: thanks for the help, appreciate it

--EDIT: spelling--

Pieter-Paul

[edited by - picklejuice on January 13, 2004 1:56:17 PM]

I just go home, program and read for a few hours, then do my homework and sleep. I usually only get 4-6 hours of sleep a night.

R.I.P. Mark Osback
Solo Pa Mi Gente
VG-Force

Yeah I use to do the same with go home and only sleep for 4-5 hours a night. But while you are young take advantage of it. If you want to learn it you will find a way! Good luck!

During middle school (7th-8th grade), my work load wasn''t that hard, and I took advantage of that time period to start learning. Right now, I''m in 11th grade, and the workload is crazy (my school being full of overachievers). So, I just program whenever I have time, which is usually thinking of ideas when I''m commuting, or on those rare days / vacations when I don''t have homework.

Sneftel, I''m also interested in doing an independent study during senior year, but I think there are courses that I really want to take. What did you do for your study?

The trick is to keep your social life going during school and on the weekends. Do your homework right after school (or, if you want to be like I was, don''t), then read about programming and practice programming at all other times. And yeah, definitely skimp on your sleeping.

That''s the beauty of school, you have so much free time, and even when you''re at school you''ve still got a social life going. Now that I''m working life sucks and I only have enough time to either keep my social life going, or do my hobby programming. I have chosen friends over programming. I program at work though, so I''m still in practice, just harder to learn the things I want to learn for myself.

-out

quote:
Original post by psykr
Sneftel, I''m also interested in doing an independent study during senior year, but I think there are courses that I really want to take. What did you do for your study?

I got a couple of programming textbooks and I read through them, doing the exercises as well as my own programs. Since I''d already fulfilled all my graduation requirements, and my high school had a dearth of interesting classes, IS was perfect for me.

Now, I should mention that at that point I was very proficient in C and other programming languages. If you''re just starting out in programming, independent study might not be right for you.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

ouch, missing out on sleep is the most unhealthy thing anyone can advise, personaly i can stay awake on 6h sleep but i''ve always needed 8h sleep to be at peak performance.

Personaly while I was at school (and we are talking early 90s here) I was doing mostly BASIC programming and some Assembler around the age of 15/16 (1995/96) and i never touched C++ until i went to Uni in 1998.
As BillPo says, the trick is to keep your social life alive at the same time, i didnt manage to do that for a number of reasons and while i dont regret the way I grew up it has since caused me a few ''issues'' in the rest of my life which might have been avoided

[engage rant mode]
tbh, threads like this (no offense to the OP btw, this is just a pet rant of mine) are a good sign of whats going wrong with the world, kids being tested to death at school and people worrying about what they want to do after school before they have even cleared 11 years of age in some case :|
Just seems to me that we are pushing people harder and harder, all in search the mythical ''highest standard'' and not worrying about the lack of childhood, the extra stress and the fact that, in all probabilty, this kids are going to burn out at an earlier and earlier age.
[rant mode off]

I never slept during school, but I really recommend not doing that

I actually started out learning z80 ASM for the TI calculators. Piece of cake and good for learning about methodizing work. After that, I started looking into PASCAL, which I learned very easily. Then I started into C+= and learned it in about 2 weeks after which I spent (and spend now) most of my time looking into programming theory and ideas for optimizing the games I''ve written. I''m not the genius though, my friend is a god at programming compared to me And he even lets girls interfere with it.

So let that be my contribution. Don''t let girls get in the way of you programming. It''s (almost) never worth it

It''''s coming...

Blox - an old new world at www.jaren.org

I started by writing a (very dodgy) calculator to calculate the result of various physics equations with a simple menu while reading "Teach Yourself C++ In 21 Days" I saw on the web.

Apart from that I just read everything I could and experimented making some small programs to reinforce what I had

My 2D game engine

quote:
Original post by _the_phantom_
ouch, missing out on sleep is the most unhealthy thing anyone can advise, personaly i can stay awake on 6h sleep but i''ve always needed 8h sleep to be at peak performance.

Personaly while I was at school (and we are talking early 90s here) I was doing mostly BASIC programming and some Assembler around the age of 15/16 (1995/96) and i never touched C++ until i went to Uni in 1998.
As BillPo says, the trick is to keep your social life alive at the same time, i didnt manage to do that for a number of reasons and while i dont regret the way I grew up it has since caused me a few ''issues'' in the rest of my life which might have been avoided

[engage rant mode]
tbh, threads like this (no offense to the OP btw, this is just a pet rant of mine) are a good sign of whats going wrong with the world, kids being tested to death at school and people worrying about what they want to do after school before they have even cleared 11 years of age in some case :|
Just seems to me that we are pushing people harder and harder, all in search the mythical ''highest standard'' and not worrying about the lack of childhood, the extra stress and the fact that, in all probabilty, this kids are going to burn out at an earlier and earlier age.
[rant mode off]

WRT sleep, thats only you that needs 8h of sleep. People vary widely. Rudy Guliani famously only sleeps three hours a night and Margaret Thatcher only sleeps one hour a night.

WRT school, I agree to some extent. Having constructive hobbies is one of the best things you can do and is often more important than school.

You learn to cope with lack of sleep. Try to get about 6 hours though. 4 hours can be tough, trust me. I go to sleep around midnight and wake up at 6. It''s not too hard.

R.I.P. Mark Osback
Solo Pa Mi Gente
VG-Force

quote:

Posted by Vich
I quitted school.

Judging by your grammar, that is obvious.

By 'in school' do you mean College or High School. I'm in High School, and have always been able to find time to code (since 7th or 8th grade... I started coding RPGCode (www.RpgToolkit.com) in 7th grade :D). Maybe this is because school has always been pretty (read: very) easy for me. Sure, I have a 3.3 GPA, but I don't have to work. Which leaves me free time to either code, play games, or do whatever I feel like doing. Homework is semi-optional, as you will learn. If you do half of your homework and get 98% on your tests, you will end up with a near-88% grade in most classes. Unless you have mean parents, this will suffice. I have never had a need for studying, so I don't really know how time-consuming it is. Coding is just like any other sport, hobby, or whatever. You use all of your free time on it, and shove everything else to the side. Anyone playing a sport will most likely choose the sport over homework. You will eventually start to do the same, but then prevent yourself from doing it. You will start of the school year great, in the middle of the semester have a high C in half of your classes, then finish with a high B or A. That's how it works.

Lack of sleep will hit you whether you are 18 and in school or 29 and working. You WILL stay up until 2 in the morning because you want to find a stupid bug or just got it fixed, and want to continue working. It's like playing addicting (read: Final Fantasy) games... "Just 15 more minutes". Not only this, but once you get into the mood you will realize that somehow, the 15 minutes you have been coding seems to have taken up 2 hours of time for the rest of the world. Caffeine will become your buddy, if it is not already.

[edited by - zackriggle on January 14, 2004 4:26:42 PM]

yeah im in high school too at a very tough one (or so i like to think) but i still get time for at least 2 hours of programming each school night plus homework, dinner, girls, and 8 hours of sleep. Just be time effiecent and you can do it

I can''t believe you people waste time on girls

Yah I survived High School on about 3 hours of sleep a night and now I get about 5 a night. The problem with programming is you think you can implement something really fast, it takes forever, and then you have to keep going on with it. There are many times where I thought I was done only to find another problem, fix it, and then start on another problem, fix it, then find a bunch of bugs that I couldn''t think coherently enough to figure out how to fix and went to bed to get a few short hours of sleep. Ah the good old days

quote:
Original post by Ekim_Gram
You learn to cope with lack of sleep. Try to get about 6 hours though. 4 hours can be tough, trust me. I go to sleep around midnight and wake up at 6. It''s not too hard.

R.I.P. Mark Osback
Solo Pa Mi Gente
VG-Force

If you don''t deprive yourself of sleep at night, then you can''t enjoy catnaps throughout the day, either. It''s a win-win.

--
Dave Mikesell Software & Consulting

$ rm * .o
.o: No such file or directory
$ ls
$ ls
$ ls

quote:
Original post by BillPo
The trick is to keep your social life going during school and on the weekends. Do your homework right after school (or, if you want to be like I was, don''t), then read about programming and practice programming at all other times. And yeah, definitely skimp on your sleeping.

That''s the beauty of school, you have so much free time, and even when you''re at school you''ve still got a social life going. Now that I''m working life sucks and I only have enough time to either keep my social life going, or do my hobby programming. I have chosen friends over programming. I program at work though, so I''m still in practice, just harder to learn the things I want to learn for myself.

-out

no problem there, I never go out, and as for the free time, my teachers are slavedrivers, so I hardly ever have any time left to open my books and program

quote:
Original post by flangazor
quote:
Original post by _the_phantom_
ouch, missing out on sleep is the most unhealthy thing anyone can advise, personaly i can stay awake on 6h sleep but i've always needed 8h sleep to be at peak performance.

As BillPo says, the trick is to keep your social life alive at the same time, i didnt manage to do that for a number of reasons and while i dont regret the way I grew up it has since caused me a few 'issues' in the rest of my life which might have been avoided

[engage rant mode]
Just seems to me that we are pushing people harder and harder, all in search the mythical 'highest standard' and not worrying about the lack of childhood, the extra stress and the fact that, in all probabilty, this kids are going to burn out at an earlier and earlier age.
[rant mode off]

WRT sleep, thats only you that needs 8h of sleep. People vary widely. Rudy Guliani famously only sleeps three hours a night and Margaret Thatcher only sleeps one hour a night.

WRT school, I agree to some extent. Having constructive hobbies is one of the best things you can do and is often more important than school.

the advised amount is actually seven hours, doing otherwise can cause heartattacks at the age of fourty (don't mean to spook anyone out or anything)

edit: DAMN MY CRAPPY ENGLISH

[edited by - picklejuice on January 18, 2004 3:54:41 PM]

lol looks like you scared everyone out of posting anymore lol

It''''s coming...

Blox - an old new world at www.jaren.org

Back to the original topic - I took the AP computer science course at my school last year, which really helped me stay on track and understand the things that so many people in these forums ask about like pointers and linked lists. I wanted to re-take it again this year (they switched over the curriculum to Java), but I got suckered into joining ASB. oh well

It wasn''t easy though - it took me 6 to 8 hours on average for each program, and I usually had two due every week. Sometimes I would only be able to turn in one. 90% of my time was spent debugging them - figuring out why one or two bugs were preventing the program from working. It was a hard process, but I''m a much better coder now.

It was cool though, it really launched me into the world of programming. I''ve never looked back.

quote:
Original post by Ekim_Gram
I just go home, program and read for a few hours, then do my homework and sleep. I usually only get 4-6 hours of sleep a night.

R.I.P. Mark Osback
Solo Pa Mi Gente
VG-Force

Wow, thats crazy. I program for a few hours on the weekends, and thats about it. I do most of my learning during breaks, like the Summer and Winter. This winter, however, I didn''t learn anything new... I was gone for all but 4 days, and in those 4 days, I just messed around with MySQL. Oh wait.. I learned a bit about PHP and MySQL. Thats about it.

Elben

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will eat for a life time."
-Chinese Proverb
WiseElben.com - Experience Wisdom

• Advertisement