• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

collision detection

This topic is 5243 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I understand collision detection for games like breakout or tetris because its very simple. But in other kinds of games I suppose it gets more complicated. In a 2-d scroller for instance would you have to have an array of all the pixels on the screen, adn test each of them to see if a collision is occuring? Ive noticed in games like counterstrike the collision detection is a bit weird because when you collide with another player your actually not even touching him, and you can stand on peoples heads, ect

Advertisement
If you find collision detection difficult.. wait ''til you start putting in proper collision response

Collision detection is not a matter of hard algorithms, but more a question of cunning optimization and adapting to a specific game.

You wouldn''t normally do a pixel by pixel collision test, even in an old 2d platformer. Usually you have bounding boxes/spheres/elipsoids, or trees of them (to check further if you found a possible collision). Checking the actaul geometry of a 3d game would be extremely expensive..

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!