• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ashandir

Animating a mesh in DX 9

This topic is 5246 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a 3d model in 3DS Max that has all the bones set up and I can make animations very easily. I want make an animation loop for running legs. So that when my mesh moves in my game engine that the legs animate. I just have no clue how to get animation info from 3ds max to direct x. Does it save this information in the .X file or do you have to program in the movement. I am kind of a newb. Let me know.

Advertisement
Yeah, you can animate in Max and export the data. I use Maya and there''s a checkbox in the export options that asks about exporting animation data. Poke around

Yes, it stores the animation in the .X file. And, yes, you have to program it in yourself. Look at the skeletal animation example in the SDK and the three articles on this site.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!