• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thamior

PS2

This topic is 5390 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Where can I learn what I need to know for PS2 programming with C++ as far as visual concepts go? and where can I get the required equipment? also dont think im an idiot Im not trying to make some highly advanced game I know what games take I just want to jump into PS2 programming.

Advertisement
Probably the easiest route to go for PS2 programming for the hobbiest is to grab a PS2 linux kit. This will allow you to program directly on the PS2. Other methods of doing PS2 programming tend to be more expensive. One PS2 Linux community is at http://playstation2-linux.com/ . They have some sample code available. Also, here on gamedev there''s one or two articles up on PS2 programming. I haven''t read them, but I know they''re there.

If you are wanting do some hobby dev you can use the homebrew tools at http://ps2dev.org There is also quite a bit of info on the PS2 at that site.

In order to actually run what you make all you really need is a ps2 and some way to run homebrew apps on it (there are a few ways, some that require a modchip and some that do not) although it will make your life a LOT easier if you have a network adapter (or a PL2301 USB networking cable).

But you should be warned, the PS2 is not easy to program for. You should make sure you can program well on your computer before trying to program on the PS2.

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]

well not grpahically anyways, I can program the core language fairly well, but all the graphical commands and clasess scare me. maybe its the tutorials choice of variables but I am just so daunted.

quote:
Original post by Drakonite But you should be warned, the PS2 is not easy to program for. You should make sure you can program well on your computer before trying to program on the PS2.

The plus side (I would think, not sure ''bout this) would be that even if you screw up really bad there is that reset button that magicly fixes everything. Ofcorse messing up putting in a mod chip or something like that would be different; the magical 300$ bill can fix that though.

the linux kit == development station? otherwise, you have to buy that aswell, and that requires BUDGET (and if you want to go commercial, you''ll have to have a license, but I don''t think that''s your intention, is it?)

no not right now im just trying to learn, as for "graphics commands" or functions and classess that control grpahical functions those seem to be really difficult in directX and visualC++

quote:
Original post by picklejuice
the linux kit == development station? otherwise, you have to buy that aswell, and that requires BUDGET

No, its not the same thing. And, to be able to get a "proper" dev-kit from Sony you need to be licensed.. both of them are VERY costly.. and as indie dev i suspect Sony wouldn''t let you be licensed anyhow...

(btw, you don''t buy the dev-station.. you borrow it with a big amount of money as deposit..)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!