What does "Direct3D(ERROR): setting alphachannel" mean?

Started by
8 comments, last by Programmer16 20 years, 3 months ago
I am in the middle of making a game engine and I''ve been having problems with my computer so I recovered it today. I had WinXP, but now I have WinME. I wasn''t getting any errors on XP, but now I''m getting "Direct3D(ERROR): setting alphachannel" when I try to run the program. Does anybody understand what could be causing this? If it helps, when I draw a triangle on the screen it''s totally black. The beginning is too close to the end...
Advertisement
Sounds like an error when setting the alpha channel.
Invalid texture stage states maybe? I''ve never seen that message before so I''m just guessing.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Well, I''ve narrowed it down to when I''m setting D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS::BackBufferFormat. I''m setting it to D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8. If I change the A to X I don''t get the error, but my triangle still has no color. But I''ve used the D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8 flag before and I''ve never had this problem.

Any ideas?
Ok. I fixed the problem about the color, in my clear function I had the values set wrong. And transparency still works, but the error is still there. Thanks for the help
Sounds like your video card or driver doesn''t support alpha blending in the back buffer. Make sure your drivers are up to date, and if it persists, well.. sucky.

Check your device caps to make sure it /should/ support alpha. (You should be checking for that anyway in code before you set up the device.)

I like pie.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
Really? I haven''t seen anything in any tutorials or books on how to do this. Is there a tutorial on how to do this or will the documentation work? Thanks
It''s all about IDirect3D9::CheckDeviceType() and IDirect3D9::CheckDeviceFormat(), and those others. It can get kind of complicated-ish, and is always a pain in the wang.

I like pie.
Ok, thanks for the help! I thought you were talking about the D3DCAPS or whatever it is. I know how to use this, but I can''t use transparency. Plus, when I updated my driver is when I started having problems. I guess I''ll have to figure it out. Thanks again.
For your system, you can look in the CapsViewer tool (Start->Programs->MS DirectX->DirectX Utilities->DirectX Caps Viewer) to confirm that the format is or is not supported.

(I tend to say ''caps'' when it comes to anything the device is capable of, rather than what''s in the D3DCAPSn structure.)

I like pie.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement