really REALLY jagged edges

Started by
7 comments, last by LifeOfTamir 20 years, 3 months ago
hi, right, i'm creating a programme were you fly a plane, over land with water collecting objects (boring i know but it's a start and anyway it's uni c/w not mine). It was fine before but i've been adding lots of things and somewhere along the way my edges of everything become awfully jagged. It's most noticable on the water and from far away, when you get close it becomes better. -------edit----------- removed screenshots ---------------------- i'm hoping that someone has come across this before and knows exactly what the problem :D if you want to see any of my code just say he word, but you'll have to tell me which part (more or less) you want to see, i don't want to write it all out, i have no idea where or why this is happening. might it have something to do with the zBuffer? -edit- I know i haven't included alot of info here but i don't really know what to include and what not to thanks T [edited by - LifeOfTamir on January 13, 2004 5:37:31 PM] [edited by - LifeOfTamir on January 13, 2004 8:09:52 PM]
"Without the 0, alot of big numbers would just sit around looking rather stupid"
Advertisement
that SIR is z-Fighting (or w dependent what you depthbuffer is called), i think you can solve it by moving the near plane a bit further away or increasing the bits used for depthbuffering

T2k
cool

fixed the prob!..your an absolute star! thanks

[edited by - LifeOfTamir on January 13, 2004 6:04:03 PM]
"Without the 0, alot of big numbers would just sit around looking rather stupid"
What are you values for your near and far plane?

Also, post a wireframe picture of the first image.

Poor terrain tesselation might be your problem.
0xa0000000
My near plane is very near. less than one, it''s 0.03 right now which has made it better. but not quite perfect. if i make it any bigger it stops rendering the ship, but if i move my eye back then the ship becomes too small (i''ve made the ship small to make the land seem big)

i guess i''ll have to stick with the compromise...hmmm
Generally I use a near plane of 0.1 and a far plane of 500 for rendering, if I''m using 1 unit per meter. What sort of scale are you using in your game?
honestly i''m not really using a set scale. i''m just changing things untill they look right. For now anyway .

one question about far planes. My far plane was set to 100 and i put down to 3 just to see what would happen, it had no visible effect on the visuals of the game. But what effect does this actually have? surely it means that less time will be spent on rendering things far away which i can''t see anyway. Would this speed up the game to make the far plane as close as possible?
Moving the far plane closer means that you well can''t see as far. It''s like the near plane only in reverse. If you move your far plane closer then you will get a small increase in accuracy with the depth buffer. Because your precisions is based around the equation of far/near So if you reduce ''far'' you get better precision. My advice is to get a SCALE for your game and stick to it, it makes things much easier later on.
thanks RamboBones, i would''ve stuck to a scale. In fact i''m sure there are lots of things i would have done or wish i could do. Unfortunately it''s due in on thursday, right now i''m just want it finished and working and then i can fix everything up in my own time

Thanks alot guys for your help. I''m sure you''ll be hearing from me and my pesky little problems more. :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement