• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EnDoX

IBSP Query

This topic is 5331 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all I have got BSP files to render in OpenGL with lightmaps and stuff. Thats all running fine. Now I am looking at this page that explains collision detection (Lord Clicky-von-Clickmeister) and i have coded to the point of actually finding a node to be a leaf but when verifying that the brush space is actually solid I have to check a section of shader lump that is related to that brush. The variable that the the page refers to is "contentFlags". I have only found the file "Unofficial Quake 3 Map Specs" and the one of GameTutorials.com. The former file discusses the "Effects" lump and the latter file discusses the "Shader" lump. I have worked out they are talking about the same lump. The lump struct according to both consists of: string[64] //name Effect shader. int brush //Brush that generated this effect. int unknown //Always 5, except in q3dm8, which has one effect with Now, according to the collision detection tutorial, the shaders lump should have something called the "contentFlags". Is contentFlags basically the same as the "unknown" integer variable in the lump as declared by the two BSP format ref files. I need to know this since i need to run a bitwise AND operation on it to see if it solid space or not. Thanks if you can help -EnDoX-

Advertisement
I've read some tutorials that just say that if the area flag in the leaf == -1 then you are in solid space.

Else you are in open space, but you still need to test against all brushsides that are in your node. Those are the brushes that are detail. They don't split up the BSP but they can be solid.

There is a tutorial that explains how to make a trace function. Basically you input a start point and an end point and it returns how far you could go before hitting a solid face. A value of 1.0f would mean the line segment is unobstructed. Can be used for walking or shooting.

[edited by - Fidelio66 on January 14, 2004 11:40:47 AM]

[edited by - Fidelio66 on January 14, 2004 11:41:07 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!