• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unidentified

Exceptional C++ / More Exceptional C++

This topic is 5244 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m learning game programming right now but, I feel I should know more C++, I didn''t even know what multithreading is and other things. So I''m getting a C++ book. I understand things covered in beginners book from basic I/O to multi-inheritence. So I was looking for a more advanced book. I came across these books by Herb Sutter while I was looking on the internet. They seems to be both very good books, but which one is better? Or are they both equally good? I haven''t heard bad things about either book, but I heard more good things about Exceptional C++, although it''s older it seems to be as good or better.

Advertisement
Much of the contents of both books are available online at Herb Sutter''s website. Exceptional C++ and More Exceptional C++ (IIRC) were inspired by his Guru of the Week work. Items 1 to 30 are covered in Exceptional C++ and items 31 to 62 are covered in More Exceptional C++. So if you want a good look at some of the things these books cover, go look at the GotW archive.

Keep in mind that the books do cover things more in depth (and in some cases much more clearly) than the articles as presented on the website, so there is still value in having killed trees.

If you were to get only one of the books, I would recommend Exceptional C++, as it seems to me to cover more fundamental areas of the language.

things being old shouldn't put you off!

They're written about standard c++ by one of the guys on the committee. they're well written and not going to be out of date.

I often quote the GOTW website and it is full of good articles and links to other writings too (for example the CUJ 'Conversations' with Jim Hyslop)

I'd also reccommend the Effective C++ and More Effective C++ books by Scott Meyers which similarly divide the learning up into Items. You can purchase a combined CD-ROM edition for less than the price of one of the books. It is cross referenced and very good. Again Meyers is respected and one of the foremost educators in C++.

Pete

[edited by - petewood on January 14, 2004 7:30:53 AM]

quote:
Original post by petewood
I''d also reccommend the Effective C++ and More Effective C++ books by Scott Meyers which similarly divide the learning up into Items. You can purchase a combined CD-ROM edition for less than the price of one of the books. It is cross referenced and very good. Again Meyers is respected and one of the foremost educators in C++.

I couldn''t agree more. By reading Effective C++ and More Effective C++, your understanding of C++ will increase immensely, and you will become a better C++ programmer thanks to Scott Meyer''s excellent teaching (if you don''t, you can get an immediate refund...just kidding).

Also, if you are on a budget, the C++ FAQ Lite at http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/ is a very good resource for all kinds of C++ wisdom.

You seem to have a good, basic understanding of programming. There are lots of things that reading just won't teach you. While you should continue reading and studying, realize you have to get your hands dirty too. Basically I'm saying, write code. Write more code. Then review and rewrite your old code.

If you choose this path, I recomend C++: The Complete Reference, by Herbert Schildt . This is not a book to sit and read through. It would be like reading the dictionary. Instead, use this book to look up things you don't understand, or need more information on.

You're balance between coding and studying is a personal choice. My personal balance is about 80 / 20.

[edited by - VenDrake on January 14, 2004 10:59:39 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!