• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

major?

This topic is 5150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i was just wondering what you guys picked as ur career cluster and major if you want to become a video game designer Shit happens when you party naked!!!

Advertisement
First off, if I were you I''d concentrate on improving my writing before I thought about going off to university. (Sadly, these days it might not be a problem :/ ) Yes, strong communication skills and proper command of the (English) language are required in this industry. When you''re trying to pitch your game idea, or describe an algorithm, to your co-workers, you''re going to want to be sure they can understand you, and that they will take you seriously.

Second, I have no idea WTF you mean by a "career cluster".

Third, to answer the question, I basically did computer engineering. (At least in Canada - at the very least at the University of Toronto, which is where I went - one doesn''t speak of having "a major" if one is in an engineering program.)

quote:

Second, I have no idea WTF you mean by a "career cluster".

Ah, see, learn from this ZMeyer688, this is the "correct language" Zahlman must be talking about.

Heh, no just kidding, don''t take me seriously. No hard feelings, eh Zahlman?

Anyhow, to answer your question, the career cluster you should be looking at would be in software development (programming) if you wish to be a game programmer. Otherwise, if you wish to be a say 3D/2D artist you should seek to the digital arts. (Webgraphics, movie fx industry, etc)

The major you should pick would be Computer Science. It''s what all (or at least most) companies require from their applicants nowdays. (Bachelor''s Science is the minimum it seems, not overly sure at how the american system works with graduating and diplomas).

Also, I must as well stress the point took by Zahlman. Every game developer needs to have very strong communicative skills in English (or whatever language your employer speaks). You must also be very fluent in expressing yourself by writing. If you feel these are your problem areas (which they probably aren''t, you are just too lazy to type out ''your'' and all the annotations belonging to a sentence ) then you should try to improve those ASAP.

• Advertisement