• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dr_slash_uh

PNG file format

This topic is 5330 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am having problems loading a 64 by 64 png file into my direct3d game. A 32x32 works fine. Is there another filetype that carries an alpha channel that works with direct3d. Thanks

Advertisement
When you have an alpha channel isn''t the picture supposed to be 32-bit. In paint shop pro when I save the file it says it is reducing the image to 24-bit

I think it''s because Paint Shop Pro can only save it as a 24 bit image. The reason I say this is look at the options in the "Save As" dialog when the .tga option is selected as the file extension. When the targa options come up, it gives you the chioce between 8, 16, and 24 bit targa images. For some reason it doesn''t give the option for a 32 bit targa? In Photoshop it gives you the options for 16, 24, and 32 bit targa images. Correct me if I''m wrong on this?

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

quote:
Original post by dr_slash_uh
When you have an alpha channel isn''t the picture supposed to be 32-bit. In paint shop pro when I save the file it says it is reducing the image to 24-bit

Then it appears that Photoshop can''t save an alpha channel. Very odd. Other inexpensive options are Photoshop Elements and The GIMP (free, www.gimp.org). I''ve used both at work and never had a problem with saving an alpha channel to a PNG.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena

Thanks but the www.gimp.org website is structured like hell. I can''t even find the win32 binary. If its no problem can you give me a link to the binary

Try DDS it is a very native file format for Direct3D (DirectDraw Surface) and it supports compression of images with alpha, and thats compression in the vid memory so it takes less space.

Guest Anonymous Poster
PSP saves alpha PNGs just fine. Atleast the recent versions (I have 7). It just says 24bit because it doesn''t count the alpha.

For TGA files the alpha channel has to be separate...it has to be in the "masks" menu option "Save to/Load from alpha channel". Don''t ask me how to get layer transparency there, though. TGAs suck, never use them.

quote:
Original post by dr_slash_uh
Thanks but the www.gimp.org website is structured like hell. I can''t even find the win32 binary. If its no problem can you give me a link to the binary

http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!