• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AlienCharm

? about LPDIRECTDRAW and LPDIRECTDRAW7

This topic is 5248 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m taking a game programming course for school and the book we are using is "Introduction to Computer Game Programming with DirectX 8.0" by Ian Parberry. He basically writes a 2D game based on Direct Draw and Direct Sound and tells how to do it in the book. Anyways in his code to create a DirectDraw interface he does this: LPDIRECTDRAW lpDirectDrawObject; DirectDrawCreate( NULL,&lpDirectDrawObject,NULL ); The only problem with this is he uses LPDIRECTDRAW and DirectDrawCreate(). Wouldn''t this return a pointer to a Direct Draw 1.0 interface? According to what I''ve read in LaMothe''s Guru''s book it either has to be done liek this: LPDIRECTDRAW lpDirectDrawObject; LPDIRECTDRAW7 lpDirectDrawObject7; DirectDrawCreate( NULL,&lpDirectDrawObject,NULL ); lpDirectDrawObject->QueryInterface( IID_IDirectDraw1, &lpDirectDrawObject7); or the more easily done: LPDIRECTDRAW7 lpDirectDrawObject7; DirectDrawCreateEx(NULL, (void **)&lpDirectDrawObject7, IID_IDirectDraw7, NULL); I was wondering if anyone would know if he was getting a 1.0 interface or not. And if he is, why isn''t he upgrading it to a 7.0 one? Is there a big difference between the two or maybe just nothing big for what he is doing? Also is there a reason why I cannot find these functions in the DirectX documentation?

Advertisement
I don't know what version it is, but my best guess is that by using the older interfaces he can guarantee that anyone* using the book can run the examples. I doubt he's trying to be bleeding-edge, so requiring DirectX 7 to do simple tasks is overkill.

EDIT: * - Anyone that has any version of DirectX installed.

[edited by - Creation on January 13, 2004 11:57:59 PM]

Well thats kind of odd you would think he would use a 7.0 interface. There must not be that great of a difference between the two for what he is using it for.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!