• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eedok

Reccomended model format?

This topic is 5325 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know in Direct X there''s lots of support for the .x format of models.. Is there anything like this for OpenGL?

Advertisement
There is no native model format in OpenGL but there are many tutorials online that can teach you how to use common model formats in OpenGL:

http://www.gametutorials.com/Tutorials/opengl/OpenGL_Pg4.htm

I''m at a similar point. I need to know a good model format for OpenGL that supports not only character loading, but models as well. I''m just guessing, but .3ds is bloated(?), and .md3 is only for characters(?). Is there another format that is used in games?

3ds is god awful. You need a recursive loader to read them in. 3ds is hell to start out with. I suggest writing a milkshape file loader to begin your journey into the murky realm of 3d file loading. Milkshape files are simple and lean. Nehe''s site has a good tutorial on loading them.

AFAICT, .X has a very complete feature set and can be very easily exported by most model packages. There''s no reason why it can''t be used for OpenGL... but I can''t find any tutorials on how to load them. Anyone?

[teamonkey]

didnt the dx sdk have a converter and an option to output plain text x-files? might at least be enough to start out (of course .ase would be the same and if youre lucky your favorite modelling tool will let you add an export plugin to anything you cook up)

For your first file format. I recommend the OBJ file format. It''s a bit dated, and I don''t think that it does animation. However, it is text based, and relatively simple to understand. Use that as a start point, then jump in to some of the other ones.

For OpenGL (and DirectX) it doesn''t really matter what file format you use. What matters is your loader for your program. It needs to take the data in the file''s format and then put it in your programs data structures so that when you begin rendering, your program knows what to draw. There are a bunch of good tutorials on mesh file formats at:

GameTutorials.com

Cheers,

Bob

----------------------------------
Halfway down the trail to hell...

I researched the 3ds file format, and came up with a basic loader for it. It works good and renders well, so is there any reason not to stick with it now? I understand it really well, and can work with it, but now I don''t see a reason not to stick with it.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!