• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

someboddy

Better way to get input in games?

This topic is 5332 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using c\c++, and right now I''m gettin input like that:
while(kbhit())
 {
  k=getch();
  switch(k)
   {
    //all the input processing

//based on the ''k'' I got on

//this round of the loop.

}
 }
I was using this method when I was programing in c. Is there a better way to do it on c++? ----------------------------------------- Everyboddy need someboddy!

Advertisement
Or, if you want a quick and easy way, include windows.h and use SHORT GetAsyncKeyState(int vKey). I''d also recommend SDL or DirectX for more serious stuff though.

You don''t have "windows.h"? Might I suggest upgrading your compiler? =)

If you want to get keyboard input the "Windows" way, your window procedure will probably look very similar to what you already have set up right now. However, if you''re aiming for a more.. platform-independent (straight C++) solution, I''m afraid I don''t know C++ console input well.

Guest Anonymous Poster
will directx solve the problem of not been able to input with two
keys at the same time

I''m doing my own version of rtype and i can''t move up and down and fire at the same time

any ideas?

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
will directx solve the problem of not been able to input with two
keys at the same time

I'm doing my own version of rtype and i can't move up and down and fire at the same time

any ideas?

Yes. DirectX will support as many simultaneous key presses as your hardware will allow. Typically it's 4 keys.

edit -- I believe SDL will allow this, as well.

[edited by - Dave Hunt on January 15, 2004 12:47:59 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!