• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kiruagon

the book 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development

This topic is 5333 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was wondering if the book "3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development" is not to difficult, with everything ''explained'' in ''math language''. I''ve seen a few pages of "Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics" and i didn''t understand it. I am only 15 and I don''t want to waste my pocket money :-). What would you recommend me ??? Kirua*Gon

Advertisement
My most serious advice would be to finish school/highschool math first and then think about doing the more complex stuff. You need to have the basics first. If you are lucky and choose the correct education at college you might get to learn calculus of several variables and linear algebra, which consit (almost) completely out of 3D math.

It''s like trying to code Template Metaprograms without even knowing C++.

As I said, probably every book about 3D math will be difficult for you since you lack the base math knowledge. I mean, it is not impossible don''t think I''m saying that, but I''m saying it is hard and that you should learn the basics first. If you want to go ahead and try, then do so.

A good recommendation would be to continue making 2D games until you have reached the point where you are mature for 3D math.

Although, if you persist on trying to learn it now, then you''d be much better off with a real mathematics book and study it throughoutly. The courses I mentioned before are the ones you need, so try finding books about them. (Linear algebra first, and then calculus of several variables)
Although I would seriously not reccomend it.

Here is a good (and simple) book on linear algebra. (Don''t forget it''s cheap)
Here is a good introductory text to calculus of several variables (not as cheap as the above, but good none the less)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. But by the way, what is linear algebra ? I''m sorry but i am dutch and my english is not my best language. And what does calculus consist of ???

Yoran

I'd recommend that book, I own it and it's great if you want an excellent and thorough introduction to 3D math (I'm 15 aswell). The first 10 or so chapters shouldn't cause you problems and they cover the fundamental and most important parts of 3D math in detail, with many clear diagrams to help you visualize and understand the topics. But as the book progresses, the difficulty in understanding the math obviously increases, and for 15 year old's like you and me, it can take a lot of patience to work the math out, since we haven't got that much of a school math background, yet.

And about the other similar book (Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics), I've heard that it's quite heavy on the math with no real "plain English" explanations. So I'd assume 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development is an easier read, and so, much more valuable to a young game programmer like yourself.

[edited by - Chacha on January 14, 2004 8:33:33 AM]

He thx !!! Finally someone of my age he he
I''ll buy, and i''ll see what i understand and what i don''t. I can always ask my math teacher...

Thx a lot,

Cia, fellow game developers !

I remember thumbing through the 3d Math Primer book one time in a bookstore and thought it explained a lot of the material rather well. If you''re persistant and not afraid to ask questions, I think you''ll grow a lot in your mathematical knowledge after reading that book.

quote:
Original post by kiruagon
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. But by the way, what is linear algebra ? I''m sorry but i am dutch and my english is not my best language. And what does calculus consist of ???

Yoran

Linear Algebra is a mathematics course that covers the basics in matrices, vectors, transformations, euclidean rooms, etc... While calculus of several variables goes deeper into the subject of ''3D math'' and contains all you need for a 3D engine.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!