• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Software engineering and computer games

This topic is 5150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently studying Software Engineering at university as a true engineering degree. I am starting to wonder whether the games industry hire such people. I want to work in the games industry but it seems they mostly hire programmers (AI, graphics, sound programmers). Since software engineering is a relatively new way of doing software, is the games industry starting to get sensitive to software engineering? I know game development was mostly based on the "Hero" where a couple of programmers were expected to do all the work programming day and night. But what about today? Since games are becoming bigger and more complex, does the industry starts to feel the need for software engineering? There are some very complex games today. Look at MMO games. Some games take years to complete. Many game projects are cancelled. How is it that, games being so complex, the games industry still lacks software engineering?

Advertisement
I think software engineering is more relevant to game development than ever before.

As you point it out, games are getting bigger and more complex, and thus require bigger teams. Code not only has to do the job and be fast. It also has to be maintainable, debuggable, readable, extensible. The era when only a few persons would have access to the codebase, and when the codebase was rewritten from scratch at the beginning of a new project, is over.

I would suggest looking into "Game Architecture and Design: A New Edition", by Andrew Rollings and Dave Morris (look it up in gamedev"s books section). The parts on team management and software achitecture speak volume on the subject.

[edited by - nickelplate on January 14, 2004 11:30:08 AM]

Hi Kelendil, where you studying at, just wondering.

"I am starting to wonder whether the games industry hire such people" - so you don''t really know what a Software Engineer is then by asking a question like this.

You can get any job pretty much anywhere, designing, building or both. Software Engineers go by this title in games companies too.

Software engineering and computer games by Rudy Rucker - I got this book out from my local library and would say unless your doing OpenGL and have an interest in MFC I wouldn''t bother.

• Advertisement