• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How should i make a simple breakout clone?

This topic is 5155 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Im new to directX (Im a very fluent c++ programmer though), i have a book on it: Something like: Programming Games with directX in 21 days. But in the book it only has one game example: an RPG. But i want to make a breakout clone, if anybody can get me started by showing me some clases i need to use are, that would be much aprecuated!Or if anybody knows of a good book.. That would be good. Thanks again; fLuoRescent

Advertisement
Andre LaMothe''s Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus shows how to make a simple breakout clone.

-noix-

In this world gone mad, we won''t spank the monkey; the monkey will spank us.

If you are really very fluent with C++ then why do you need the book to spell it all out for you? Use the book that you have to learn how to display items on the screen, and learn about game loops, and input handling. After that you will know all of the items needed to make the game of your choice.

Think about it this way, if you ever want to make a game that is going to be different then the ones already out there then your not going to be able to follow tutorials all the time, why not start now.

Get a breakout game so you can get all the rules straight and then learn the basics you''ll need and then design your version..

In my eyes thats the only way your really going to learn how to make games.

I think he means consol c++.First you must chosse a n api then a book.
Forget what I said...

[edited by - MPG on January 14, 2004 8:23:11 PM]

Your right, Turt. I wont be that hard, i already think i have an idea of what im going to do. Ill post how i did it once im done. Thanks, turt, for the inspiration!

• Advertisement