how did they do diablo and ultima online graphics

Started by
6 comments, last by kenjin 20 years, 3 months ago
Did they use direct X for diablo and are all the character 3d models or are they 2d. I wanted to make an rpg game with simple graphics without having the trouble of animating in 3d. I''d appreciate any ideas. I''ve found out that it takes 2 long to develop a game with 3d graphics that match whats out there. Maybe it would be easier to have a playable game with simpler 2d graphics.
games rule
Advertisement
Diablo was all pre-rendered characters, so 2D.

UO used to have 2D characters, but now uses 3D models. The land is still 2D. I have always wondered about the land though. It looks like a hieght map. On certain hills you can see the texture being stretched. The game ran perfectly smooth on my old computer, so I doubt the textures are being rendered real-time, meaning it must be pre-rendered into sprites and just blitted.

interNEKO
The original Ultima Online used all 2d sprites. The latest "upgrade" uses 3d graphics in an iso view. The map uses a z buffer for height. If you have the cd you can download a utility that works with UOX that will allow you to view the mul file that has all the graphics in it to get an idea of how they do it. Keep in mind, Ultima Online is copyrighted so do that at your own risk Good luck.

"If you are not willing to try, you will never succeed! If you never succeed, are you really trying?"

Grellin

[edited by - Grellin GDU on January 14, 2004 3:35:57 PM]
"If you are not willing to try, you will never succeed!"GrellinC++ Game Programming
Yeah, Diablo/Diablo 2 were 2D sprites. The characters were initially modelled in 3D, then rendered to bitmaps.

Josh
vertexnormal AT linuxmail DOT org

Check out Golem: Lands of Shadow, an isometrically rendered hack-and-slash inspired equally by Nethack and Diablo.
Are there any other games (free download) that one could check out to get an idea of what diablo 2 is using for their graphics?

I want to see another game using this style of graphics, to be sure that it is what i want, and to get an idea of how some developpers are handling certain decisions.

Any other games doing a 2d terrain map and 2d sprite/blitted models?
You could try searching at sourceforge.net

-Luctus
Statisticly seen, most things happens to other people.
[Mail]
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams
[Moved to: For Beginners]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

The crew at Blizzard uses 3DS Max for all their modelling needs.

[edited by - paradoxnj on January 15, 2004 4:02:16 AM]
Anthony Rufrano
RealityFactory 2 Programmer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement