Want to create a mmorpg like Everquest...need some help

Started by
8 comments, last by meisterman123 20 years, 3 months ago
I was wondering if anyone can give me lots of information on everquest like what they made their interface with, A friend said XML i just wanna be sure. Adn also What programming language they used. i hope its c++. and if anyone is good at c++ and all and wants to tem up with me to make it say so Gonna need lots of helpers
Advertisement
What do you mean by ''interface'' ?
yes the layout of their UI is now specified in XML files. The code to interpret these of course is contained in the exe.

The programming language they used is probably C++ although if they used C it wouldnt surprise me much considering the code was written well over 5 years ago. In any event, it shouldn''t matter much whether it is C or C++, use whatever you feel comfortable with as a game like EQ can be made in either one.

The best resource right now as far as how a game like EQ was made from the server side of things is prolly the EQ server emulator at www.eqemulator.net. For the client you''re prolly on your own. =)

-=[ Megahertz ]=-
-=[Megahertz]=-
Tnx Mega... and waht i mean by interface is like the chat box...Options bar..
quote:Original post by meisterman123
I was wondering if anyone can give me lots of information on everquest like what they made their interface with, A friend said XML i just wanna be sure. Adn also What programming language they used. i hope its c++. and if anyone is good at c++ and all and wants to tem up with me to make it say so Gonna need lots of helpers
You will not be able to do it until you know what you have to do. Try something simpler and come back in 6 years.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
quote:Original post by Raloth
quote:Original post by meisterman123
You will not be able to do it until you know what you have to do. Try something simpler and come back in 6 years .

Try pong, or even asteroids...

It''s Maxd Gaming, put in an underscore and I will beat you with a rubber ducky!
{ Check out my Forum } { My First Space Art (Ever) }{ My Second Space Art (Ever) }{ A upcoming space RTS codenamed Gruntacktica . }{ . }
The Untitled RPG - |||||||||| 40%Free Music for your gamesOriginal post by capn_midnight 23yrold, is your ass burning from all the kissing it is recieving?
You can also try to take a look at Planeshift''s source code if you wan to have a better idea of how things are done in MMORPGs.

Planeshift''s an opensource MMORPG, which official site can be found at http://www.planeshift.it (do not fear the .it extension, the site is in english ).
"I have questions. Questions that need answering !" - Gandalf the gray, The fellowship of the ring
Wow... there really is a language called D. It actually looks quite thorough and interesting.

"Try something simpler and come back in 6 years."

Why? So he can come back and ask the same question?

-=[ Megahertz ]=-

-=[Megahertz]=-
As an example, when you learn to write in English 101, you don''t go and try to write an epic novel to rival War and Peace, you write a short story.

The moral is, try to write a small text MUD first to get an idea of how it all works (you know sockets, threads, databases, parsers, etc). Then when you feel you have mastered the server side of things, you can write your graphical front end.

And yes, EQ uses XML as a definition language for the interface, but XML is just a way to layout data in a human readible form, the UI engine parses it (you will need to learn about XML parsing too if you wnat to use that) and generates windows based on the configuration.

I don''t want to sound elitist, because everyone has to start somewhere, but you should start small and work your way up rather than try to tackle the a product with 5 years of development and a large staff of programmers.
++Alex

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement