App doesn't run properly outside of Vis. Studio

Started by
3 comments, last by d826 20 years, 3 months ago
Hi, My DirectX8.0 app runs okay from within Visual Studio. If I copy the .exe file to a different directory (along with images etc) and run it, it looks like frontface culling has been switched on, and fog disabled, and basically looks terrible. Can anyone tell me what''s up? I''ve tried both the Release and Debug .EXEs, both have same problem.......but it runs okay from within Studio!??! Is DX changing something? The app was built in dx8.0 (mostly in college), but I have DX9.0 on my machine - could this be the problem? It still runs okay thru studio, though..... Cheers, DM
Advertisement
Hi!

No DX changes nothing. DX is also backward compatible, so you could write for DX 3 with the DX 9 sdk and still get the results you program.

The error is yours somewhere.
TechleadEnilno, the Ultima 2 projectwww.dr-code.org/enilno
ummm have you try''ed running it without VS but in the first folder, also Visual Studio deals with file paths differently during debug so check to make sure that your images and resources are right next to your EXE, rather then in the folder above the EXE(ie. exe->Debug folder, Imges->Main Proj folder). But I do agree with RhoneRanger, DX changes nothing, you should be able to run with or without VS.
Are you checking the return values in all of your function calls? Possibly your app is failing to load its resources or otherwise set up its environment.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Thanks guys, fixed it now - think it was to do with the paths to the resources.

"The error is yours somewhere."

I appreciate your cold, clinical honesty, RhoneRanger!

Cheers
D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement