• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Market share of pocket PC (Windows CE)

This topic is 5224 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Good day guys, Last night my friend passed me a Dell AXIM pocket PC, and I thought it was fun to download games into it and play. Now since I''ve been codin'' in MFC/Win32/DirectX on PC, it should not be too difficult for me to code for pocket PCs (with the exception that they don''t have DirectX on it, well I have to write sprite engine for myself, which won''t be a problem). So before I decide to go straight into codin'' games for pocket PCs, I want to know if it is worth doing so. This is why I ask about market share of pocket PCs (there''s no point in writin'' games for somethin'' that is phasin'' out). How many percent does each of the PDA takes in the entire PDA market? What''s the way it is goin''? Is WinCE takin'' over the market share of Palm OS? Thanks for any possible replies

Advertisement
Actual game market for Pocket PC is thin. Pocket PC and most PDAs are used mostly by business and office people. These kind of people do not tend to enjoy playing games on their personal agenda. I never seen a teenager with a Pocket PC.

However, cell phone games are a hit, mostly in europe and asia I should say. There, they pay for local calls on regular phone lines, so almost everyone own a cell phone, even the youngers.

Thanks Coin for replyin'. I thought of cell phone gamin'
before, but I hated the tiny screens on 'em. You can't do much
to it, and personally I think the possibilities are very
limited on cell phones (i.e. kinds of games you can create).

And I believe cell phones' processin' power is not as good as a
pocket PC/Palm. Maybe I'm short-sighted, maybe they'll have dual
processors on cell phones. But the screen size is not goin'
anywhere near PDA today... Unless they come up with some
holographic display

I heard they have Windows CE on cell phones too, is that right?
So what do the rest think about the market share of pocket PC?

[edited by - HaywireGuy on January 14, 2004 10:17:04 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Just a note on the cell phones and games on them. You should look into smartphones. These are Cell phones that operate as PDA''s. <b>NOTE: ONLY Avaliable to the USA and some places in Europe.</b> But I have one and its a great little device. If you work in the .net CF, then start now and when the MPx220 and the other SmartPhone 2003 device come out you will be one of the first.

The Conquer Worm

.NET Programmer
Lives Mobile and XBox
DEVELOPMENT

Guest Anonymous Poster
Smartphones shipped today.. 63k as far as I remember... really great market ;-)

for PPC info check www.pocketmatrix.com -> forums , you will learn how to code it and about market possibilities... it''s also quite easy to port code between PPC and smartphone, so IF (yeah right) m$ smartphones get decent sales you can jump into that boat easily

Oh wow thanks guys for your replies!

I see that SmartPhones are possible way to go too, provided it
sells well (N-Gage didn''t, so... yeah). Now since I haven''t
seen much about SmartPhones, can''t really say anythin'' about
it. The only thing I noticed these few days is, there are hell
lots of PPC games around... I''m makin'' the assumption that it
is because many people are familiar with PC codin''. Competition
is there, strong.

I''m not avoidin'' anythin'', still goin'' into PPC anyway, thanks!
So SmartPhone sites, anyone?

You should not miss these excellent articles about creating a wrapper around the Game API and creating a graphical engine in C# (and also in VB.NET), with Compact Framework, they are great!

Create the wrapper and starte the engine:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/html/WrapGAPI1.asp

Add support for bitmaps and sprite: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/html/WrapGAPI2.asp

Add support for particles and lines:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/html/WrapGAPI3.asp

Regards

Johan Lindfors

If you''re looking into multi-platform programming for PDA, cells, etc, then you may want to have a look at GapiDraw;

www.gapidraw.com

If you''re just interested in straight PPC, then have a look at PocketHAL and PocketFrog as well;

www.droneship.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!