• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orbian

Garage Games

This topic is 5307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has anyone had any experience with Garage Games, or can tell me what they are like, and what kind of volume you can expect to move.

Advertisement
The community is pretty good. I bought there source code, however when asking for help most of the people will always reply "you have the source code".

I don''t know about moving games, as they are only selling a handful of games from other companies.

I tried to talk to them a while back about licensing Torque, and I had some questions about the license fee (whether it was per project, per programmer on the project, per teammember, or whatever). First time round they evaded the questions, and second time they were just plain rude.

I''m sure that if you''ve got no special requirements they''re fine, but I personally won''t be going near them again.

I had to do some market research for a school rpject once and I asked them about their business model and the (expected) amount of sales for different games they were selling. I simply got an email back that they didn''t reveal any information what-so-ever.

I suggest you get a hold of the people that actually wrote the games that GarageGames is selling and ask them, but personally I would stay away from them as well. If they aren''t open about their business and how well it goes, why should you trust them to sell your game?

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

Guest Anonymous Poster
There are too many free engines out there that are simply better than Torque.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
There are too many free engines out there that are simply better than Torque.
Such as? It''s been a while since I looked, but the last time I did, none of the freely available engines were as complete or as well-documented as Torque. If that situation has changed, I''d like to know about it.

In my experience the guys from Garage Games are trustworthy and easy to work with. They''re not going to tell you how well their other games are selling (as CheeseGrater said, no one''s going to do that), but if you go to them with a specific game you want to do I''d be surprised if they weren''t honest with you about what kind of sales you could reasonably expect.

I have been putting together a list of engines that are established over at www.cgengine.com. It may allow you to shorten your search.

In regards to Garagegames, remember not only have they developed the Torque engine and support it, they are a publisher and also run the Indie Games Con each year. They are probably the largest single supporter of the indie game industry in America other than the folks over at Gamasutra.

Thanks,
John Thrower
www.gamedogma.com
www.cgengine.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!