• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blood Particle System

This topic is 5151 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey there, I just have a quick question to ask about modelling blood via a particle system. I have made up a base class for a particle system and now I have been able to model things such as explosions, rain, etc etc... But i''ll be damned if i can model blood! like a running pool of blood or something. Any ideas of textures to be used? how particle positions vary? What attributes do my particles need? Well, I hope you can help. Thanks for taking the time to read this post, I appreciate any input i can get. Cheers, MeeZ

Advertisement
Try searching for blob modelling and metaballs. They are probably better for doing blood effects than a straight particle system. You could even use blobs as particles to get the best overall effect, although it could be a bit expensive.

Heres a link for starters metaballs/blobs.

Well I personally think metaballs is a bit over the top for blood, but there is no reason you can''t abstract your actual rendering from the behaviour and use both metaballs and billboards. Of course, you can still use traditional particle methods (billboards) which alpha into each other and kind of look like they''re joining together (like they do with metaballs)

The thing about blood is that it has a different *behaviour* to things like rain and explosions and this is the thing you have to
simulate to make it look more like blood.

So, one of the main properties of blood is that it coagulates. It forms sticky goos and draws together. So you need some kind of inter-particle forces (attraction mainly). Also, in order for the blood to drip you need to be able to occasionally break these forces so that some molecules will be allowed to slip away.
Also, an effect which may occur when 2 molecules get closer together is that they may join and become a single larger molecule. Also, since blood is quite viscous (in comparison to water) you will have to simulate this viscosity by adding friction to surfaces that it may touch. Yes, you may need to do a bit of collision detection with surfaces to calculate whether an impact of a molecule on the surface has enough force to break the molecule into smaller molecules.

Above are just some of the physics properties. Included in the visual properties is shininess - simulating this may be harder.

Hope that helped
FReY

If you want an expanding pool of blood then its pretty easy to make the cheesy effect, create a quad on the floor and increase its size - thus the pool of blood expands - crap but it''ll work.

As for the movement of blood, maybe watch some films in slow-mo and see how its move. It would personally say it flys away from the surface it is hit at a fast velocity at slighty random directions, then obviously just falls to the floor for impact wounds.

For trickling (!?) blood it''ll just run down a surface and leave a mark where its been - probabbly at the rate slower than water as is quite viscious.

Well everyone, all I can say is WOW! I wanna thank each of you for taking the time out to help me out. I was thinking i''d never get a response to this question! Sorry I haven''t replied until now, but i''ve been asleep!!! And me being lazy i haven''t woken until now (10:30am Aussie time).

But thanks I will look at all possibilities and suggestions. Thanks again!

Cheers,

MeeZ

• Advertisement