• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

n0t_l33t

a GLUT question

This topic is 6517 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a project in a class that requires us to use GLUT in windows. The problem I am having is that to render a scene in GLUT, you must send it a void funtion. Unfortantly, it won''t accept the void function from my object class. Can I make GLUT take my class function? Is there anything I can do, besides making the object global and then writing a global function to render my scene? Also, it requires us to use a menu to add vertexs, etc. How can I set GLUT up to handle all of this. I''ve read though the manuals, what I really need is just some examples of how to make it work.

Advertisement
Why not just create a generic void Draw(void) function and then use that function to call the member functions of your object to get the information you need to render? Thats what I normally do...

Nate Miller
http://nate.scuzzy.net

That is what i did, but it requires a global object (at least from the way i am thinking of it), and i''m trying to stay away from global variables.

in a nutshell this is what i have.

class Obj {
public: ...
SetUpVerticies();
...}

void Obj:SetUpVerticies() {
for each vertex .
glVertex2d(x, y)}

void Draw() {
glBegin(GL_SOME_STATE);
VarName.glVertex();
glEnd();}

Obj VarName;

main(){..
glutRenderScene(Draw);
...}

is there a better way to do this, using classes and glut, or is this what i am stuck doing?

i use a single global class

Game game;

voif Game::draw()
{ .....
}

Draw()
{ game.draw();
}

main(){..
glutRenderScene(Draw);
...}

theres heaps of examples on how to set up popup menus in examples folder included with glut

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!