Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vangelis

Supporting Multiple Resolutions with DirectDraw

Vangelis    122
I am creating a 2D game using directDraw and would like to support multiple resolutions. Is it even worth supporting this, as I''m sure most cards can support 1024x768 without any problems. What methods would I go about to do this? I was thinking I would either have to scale all the tiles using DirectDraws scaling methods, or do each piece of artwork multiple times for each resolution. The last method doesn''t seem to appealing as the amount of art needed is enough as it is. Anyone have experience with this, and can give me some advice? --------------------- Ryan Bujnowicz [ vangelis ]

glassJAw    128
What kind of game are you making?

If you''re able to scroll around a level of some sort, you can just show more of the level at higher resolutions. No new art or scaling necessary.

If there''s no scrolling involved, you might be better off with a fixed resolution.

Vangelis    122
The game is tiled (isometric). The problem lies in that we want the same amount of tiles displayed on the screen, no matter the resolution. This is to not give those people with a bigger resolution an advantage in multiplayer.

Bad Maniac    252
DDRAW blt can stretch or scale bitmaps, so you should just be able to recalculate a different destination rect for different resolutions. most cards scale in hardware so it should be pretty quick too.

jermz    122
There are still a lot of people with 15" monitors for whom 1024x768 is a bit of a pain. You could scale your sprites but since you''d be scaling by non-integers, the bitmaps may look a little weird. For 2D sprite based games, 800x600 may be your best bet.

Sly    128
Have a different set of tiles for each resolution. Larger tiles for higher resolutions. Design the tiles in high resolution and then resize a copy for each resolution.

This is what Half-Life does for fonts. Each resolution has its own font bitmap.

glassJAw    128
Going with scaling seems rather pointless. Why bother changing the resolution at all in that case?

If you must have the same information on screen at all times AND have a variable resolutions, having a different set of graphics for each resolution is probably the only way to go.